SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

JamesF's observatory build

JamesF

Spent a bit of time in the observatory this afternoon finishing off some of the network cabling which seems to have improved the reliability and speed a fair bit compared with using wifi.  Now the only wifi link is back to the house; everything inside the observatory itself is now on a gigabit switch.  I've also mounted the monitors on the wall in the warm room which has freed up a fair bit of desk space.

James

• Like 3

15 hours ago, JamesF said:

Spent a bit of time in the observatory this afternoon finishing off some of the network cabling which seems to have improved the reliability and speed a fair bit compared with using wifi.  Now the only wifi link is back to the house; everything inside the observatory itself is now on a gigabit switch.  I've also mounted the monitors on the wall in the warm room which has freed up a fair bit of desk space.

James

So what about the eyepiece James?   😂

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/09/2019 at 18:03, JamesF said:

James

I would highly advise anyone looking to use a wifi link from house to observatory to look into the Ubiquiti Nano range of wireless point to point devices ( other manufacturers exist ).

These will allow you to plug a cable in from your house Lan into one unit and it effectively reappear at the other unit in the Obsy, transparent to your lan network.

They can be easily setup to only talk to each other ( impossible for anyone else to connect to them wirelessly ).

They offer a "true" throughput of 100Mps+ each way and are rock solid stable. ( used a lot for businesses that require reliability )

I have a pair that hes been running for over 4 years and has never even blipped in this time, to all intents and purposes it appears like a cable.

They are capable of running kilometers if good line of sight.

Not that expensive and usually appear regularly secondhand on fleabay etc.

However a cheapo cat5e cable will always beat the best wifi.....only ever use wifi when a cable is not an option.

Been a while since my last update, but I've slowly been making progress with the little stuff.  This weekend I finished off the internal window which means it's not held in by sandwiching it between some screws any more.

I have been considering extending the length of the rails so the roof can run off a bit further and give the third pier a slightly better view of the NCP, but I think that can wait for the time being.

Plans for getting a fixed network connection have unfortunately gone a little awry.  The intention was to dig an additional trench for the cabling when we had the foul water system put in for the barn conversion, but our planned system turned out to be painfully expensive and we had to settle for something simpler which didn't involve putting trenches in where we originally planned.  I can live with that for the time being though.  The arrangement I have seems to work sufficiently well for now.

James

• Like 1