Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

May 28, 2018: Quick lunctime H-alpha session

Had the Coronado SolarMax-II 60mm out over lunch. Nice activity on the disk around two ARs, best seen in double-stack configuration, but also quite a few proms visible (best in single stack). Around the three o'clock position, a little, fairly faint triangular, roughly pyramidal prom showed, but below it, at roughly the 5 o'clock position, an short hedgerow or inverted pyramid showed clearly. At the beginning of the session, a small but bright bulbous structure extended beyond the limb at the 9 o'clock position, but that shifted shape rapidly, morphing into a collection of spikes. Maybe the AR that has just turned the corner is bubbling away just behind the limb. A couple of PhD students also came over for a look. Short but rather nice session. I hope I can still do some imaging when I get home from work.

I had a great one hour session between 6pm and 7pm today, probably the best this year. The main AR was flaring brightly at 6.15 and a central disc plane transit occured at 6.30 which made me jump!. The main AR showed incredible detail at 150x, apart from the flairing there were several dark "mares tails" filaments associated with it. Last, but not least, a magnificent highly intricate prominence adorned the limb.

Archived