Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best star atlas for beginner

Hi, welcome to the forum.
For something immediate, go get yourself the freeware program called Stellarium.
Once set up to your location, everything  you see on the screen, especially the closer Stars and constellations will be on screen. Fro there, work your way around the program, printing your own unique charts if required ?

A circular Planetarium from the likes of WH Smiths /Menzies  will get you in the zone too.

As for books, one of my favourites is Turn Left At Orion!

Thanks. Have Stellarium, also Carte de Ciel, and the Philip's Planisphere so maybe don't need a book :)

Think will order Turn Left at Orion as you suggest. Agree binocularsky.com really useful website.

11 minutes ago, pfarrell267 said:

Thanks. Have Stellarium, also Carte de Ciel, and the Philip's Planisphere so maybe don't need a book :)

Think will order Turn Left at Orion as you suggest. Agree binocularsky.com really useful website.

I was going to recommend a planisphere as well for quick reference, but it seems you've already got that covered :)

Hi @pfarrell267 and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

I use Norton's Star Atlas. Also has reference section. Another useful book is Exploring the Night Sky With Binoculars by the late Sir Patrick [Caldwell] Moore. There is also another book of the same title by an American amatuer astronomer, but I have forgotten his/her name. 

Any of the recommended atlases would be good, but as a beginner there are other things to learn about Astronomy.

I feel that Norton’s provides not only a good atlas and listing of interesting objects but a very comprehensive reference guide 

On 27 May 2018 at 23:27, pfarrell267 said:

Can anyone suggest a good star atlas for a beginner? Currently trying to find my way around with an 8 x 42 binocular. 

What a great way to start in astronomy, binoculars are the way to go! Turn Left at Orion is a great book and would continue to be useful if  you get a scope. Binocular Astronomy by Stephen Tonkin would be good for you too. 

Thanks for the suggestions. Think will go ahead and purchase Turn Left at Orion. Probably going to get a scope in the next few weeks, and more or less decided on the heritage 130P as a good one to start out with.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived