SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Best setup for wireless Remote Desktop control?

BlueAstra

I have a setup that used to work, but now doesn’t. A scope mounted Intel NUC (W10 pro) controls an Evolution 9.25 via the handset, a ZWO camera, ZWO filter wheel and FCUSB focus control. I have a tp-link TL-WR802N wireless travel mini router plugged directly into the NUC and set to access point mode. I connect to the router with the iPad and then control the NUC via wireless Remote Desktop on the iPad. This all worked well until recently, now for some unknown reason it doesn’t.  Sometimes the SSID is broadcast and I can connect, then later it disconnects. Sometimes it never broadcasts an SSID at all. I’ve tried a new router with no effect. Maybe windows update has ‘improved’ things. Whatever the reason it’s now totally unreliable.

I’m trying to figure out the problem, but it’s led me to wonder what the best setup would be. Am I using the correct setup, or should I use a different configuration? None of the example setups for the travel router I’m using match my setup, it’s really designed to share internet connections. I just want a reliable wireless Remote Desktop connection to control the NUC from the iPad. Unfortunately the NUC does not support ad-hoc connections. What setup/equipment should I use?

Graham

Thanks for the link. I’m not sure the unit is flexible enough yet for what I do, but is almost the ideal solution. The NUC with Sharpcap allows video and single frame capture, and has large ssd storage for the video files. It can also control the scope with Stellarium or TSkyX.

11 hours ago, shirva said:

Zwo is releasing the Asiair WiFi unit to control there camera ect,, starting to do the marketing for it now

https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/news/small-box-big-universe-asiair-first-show-neaf-neaic-2018.html

IMHO (and with real testing of various methods) Sorry Shirva, but that will still have the basic problem with Wireless devices they are too slow for downloading data at fast rates and if its being released at $200 dollars then I guess that means £200 plus here in the UK. As BlueAstra points out his set up runs at far faster speeds and controls mount,focuser etc without needing new or modified software - he just remotely connects to it by RDP/VNC. His problem is that his AP (TPLINK) has screwed up(tech term) - if that was working it makes the other options seem like riding a horse when compared to a driving a Ferrari. This is because RDP using using very little bandwidth compared to fast real time downloads from such devices as CCD etc.

Plus for DSLR "Yes, DSLR can be uesd, but not to control DSLR"

I will eat my words but I cannot see,IMHO, Asiar unit being a replacement for his NUC - which I suspect he uses I5 or I7 (please correct me BlueAstra)  quad processor , 4 usb 3 ports(mount focuser etc), 8GB or more of main memory, 256GB SSD  - just doesn't have Adhoc (or any) Wifi built in - Silly omission by NUC IMO.  

BlueAstra - you could just replace your TPLINK with a RPI3+ running SoftAP mode software (no internet needed) but will act as DHCP/AP etc Example on how to set up  https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=196263&sid=d1a13b45b52a720aaaa712f616c10010 - bit more complicated than the TPLINK but runs well - I know I use it in this manner.  No Windows 10 drivers required ?

Shirva still waiting for pictures of the night with your latest kit - surely some clear/Dry nights(if a bit light) even in Scotland ?

Yip know what your saying on speed,, but as You pointed out at $200 ,, you get what you pay for,, I don't think the equipment described comes into that category ?,, but for the less ambitious the zwo kit may be useful to someone on here ,, if it had been any other company than zwo,, I probably would have check back now and again to see how it panned out,, it certainly has our American compadres interested,, 

Lol,, yeah,, summer has arrived in Scotland ,, tops off Fridays are back..

Had the ed80 ,,heq5,, da da da all set up with the zwo asi 178mc and the turbulence was bouncing focus all over the place,, took some video and snapshots of the moon via sharpcap pro but it was utter mince.

Photoshop and stacking could not make a decent image,,  

Portable kit ,, I was waiting on a laser pen coming in,, trying to line up the zwo and lens on the star adventurer is a nightmare,, going to attach to the lens for setting up.

Anyway for me it's about the journey,,  build up the kit, help folk not make the same assumptions and mistakes as me and a twenty years apprenticeship ,, this is my retirement hobby lol,,

Busy time for me just now,,got pulled out of retirement with pipe band,, and playing as a stand in drummer,, so much for taking it easy and just being a tutor,, designing band logo polo shirts and sublimation mugs to help draw in funds,, and new hobby,, making sgian dubhs.

Got to do something to keep busy with the poor weather I've had..

All about the journey I keep saying

IMG_20180503_193505.jpg

The system comprises a NUC 715BNK i5 computer (8GB ram, 256GB SSD, W10 Pro), Maxoak K2 battery, TP-Link wireless N router, FCUSB focus control and a USB3 hub. At the moment this is configured to control my Altair 178M or ZWO 224MC camera, Zwo mini filter wheel and Meade zero shift focusser on my Evolution 9.25. I can also control the Evolution by connecting the cable from the HC to the NUC. The system is controlled by MS remote desktop on my iPad Pro. The Evolution is powered by its internal battery and everything else is powered by the MaxOak battery. The kit is in two layers. The first layer holds all the kit except the battery, which is in the second layer. Its all held onto the Evolution with Velcro straps. I also made a small bracket to hold the hand controller. A typical 30s video can create a file of 1 - 5 GB, so a large amount of storage is needed, and the fast frame rates require a direct USB3 connection to the NUC.

I've done some more investigation and the issue seems to be related to how close the router is to the NUC. You can see in the picture it is very close to the NUC, and there must be some kind of electrical interference affecting the router. If I move the router away from the NUC it seems much more reliable. Not sure why this is since the NUC wifi is turned off.

IMG_2371.JPG

IMG_2373.JPG

IMG_2376.JPG

IMG_2377.JPG

Why aren't you using the Wifi on the NUC - it might be able to produce a "Windows 10 Mobile Hotspot" which will do away with the TPLINK altogether(even if you dont have an Internet link!) - the only bad point is  the inbuilt NUC Wifi has to support Adhoc mode.  If i remember the TPLINK only needs the USB connection for power but there was a separate power port - if yours has this extra power port you could move the TPLINK further away - even off the mount to see if that improves the signal.

Looking at your pictures It could be the "steel" bolts and wires (even if shielded) could be interfering with the signal especially if they happen to have the same length as the Wifi wave length. But you would have had the same problem when it "worked".

You could try moving the TPLINK to the outside or change the orientation of he box as this would change have the signal coverage depending on how the beam is produced.

Unfortunately the Intel wireless card in the NUC (or is it Windows?) does not support ad-hoc connections. Otherwise it would have been the perfect solution. I don't understand why the feature was removed, it would be so useful. The TP-Link has a network and usb power connection, it takes power direct from the battery. Moving the TP-Link looks like the best solution, but it will mess up my compact layout!

tp-link.jpg

3 hours ago, BlueAstra said:

Intel wireless card in the NUC (or is it Windows?) does not support ad-hoc connections

Its hardware/Driver nothing to do with Windows - alternative is to use a Dongle(2.4 and 5ghz) that does give Adhoc capabilities and is compatible(i.e. recognised) with Win 10. Hopefully it will work when you move it - good luck

On 28/05/2018 at 23:47, shirva said:

You pointed out at $200 ,, you get what you pay for,, I don't think the equipment described comes into that category

Apparently, according to CloudyNights, its just a RPI3 plus Stellarmate(Linux Debian os + Indy) so they have a bit of a cheek,IMHO, charging £200 and sorry DSLR don't work very well on Linux (its reversed engineered Canon protocol). Also not a new product ,again CloudyNights,just updated !!!!!! - what's updated -  the price ?

That's the beauty of the American market 90% of the time they get information a lot quicker than this side of the pond, at £200 it was always going to be a wait n see product,, canon wise I'm pretty happy with the camfi unit for wifi also looking forward to see how dslr will be in sharpcap,, constant money pit the old astronomy

I cannot find the thread, but ages back I saw someone having similar issues with wifi. So they ran a power cord from inside to outside OBS, and ran EOP (ethernet over power). Fixed up all the problems. Apparently :) Of course if you are portable setup then it won't help out in the field. 

I found out from CN that I may be experiencing interference between USB 3.0 and 2.4 GHz signal.  See https://www.intel.co...ence-paper.html

I've replaced the router with a TP-Link AC750 travel router which operates at 5GHz. Its only slightly larger than the WR802 I was previously using, so I was able to fit it in the same place. I've switched off the 2.4GHz signal and so far it seems to be working fine. It does have a slightly greater power drain though, 2.1A compared with 1A for the WR802.

tp-link ac750.jpg

Archived