Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Good Grab n Go mount for Celestron C5.

I have just bought a Celestron C5. This is to use for both day and astronomy use. I have attached a Vixen style dovetail clamp to my Manfrotto tripod. But is just does not work. The tripod is sturdy enough. But the pan head is too stiff and jerky. No smooth movement. It also does not allow the scope to point straight up. Does anyone else have a C5. I have seen Skywatcher's new alt/az goto mounts that can be attached to photo tripods. They have duel encoders which if I understand correctly allows for smooth manual panning. 

Have seen th GT az WiFi and Discovery goto mounts. 

Looking to keep the mount sturdy but transportable and light weight. 

I had a C5 a year or two ago and used it very successfully as a spotting scope and for planetary/lunar observing on a Tele Optic GR-2 Mini Giro on a heavy duty photo tripod.

48 minutes ago, stash_old said:

Maybe this will be of some help but doesn't address all your portability issues 

Thanks for highlighting this great report. Looks like the GT WiFi mount may well be an answer. 

1 hour ago, Lockie said:

Hi Martin, read some reviews about the AZ-gti, I'm sure there are issues when trying to use it manually. Probably worth checking first.

Thanks Chris. 

As highlighted in my post earlier this week, I think my C5 goes well on the AZGTi. Only had them together on a couple of nights but so far, very positive!!

I'm not sure how it would perform manually panning....

The C5 commonly comes bundled with a relatively portable SE 4/5 Celestron Nextstar GoTo mount.  Evidently there are various Sky-watcher mounts that might also suit.

It's roughly the same aperture, size and weight as my 127mm Mak, which I use on the Nexstar SLT GoTo mount and on an AZ-4 alt-azimuth manual mount.

On ‎27‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 06:56, Grumpy Martian said:

I have just bought a Celestron C5. This is to use for both day and astronomy use. I have attached a Vixen style dovetail clamp to my Manfrotto tripod. But is just does not work. The tripod is sturdy enough. But the pan head is too stiff and jerky. No smooth movement. It also does not allow the scope to point straight up. Does anyone else have a C5. I have seen Skywatcher's new alt/az goto mounts that can be attached to photo tripods. They have duel encoders which if I understand correctly allows for smooth manual panning. 

Have seen th GT az WiFi and Discovery goto mounts. 

Looking to keep the mount sturdy but transportable and light weight. 

Do you specifically want go-to, or is a manual mount with available tracking enough?  My first setup was a C6 and an Orion Astroview EQ mount, it was excellent. It is not go-to, but you can get it with RA tracking which was quite good for its price. The mount is lightweight and easily carried and set up, what I consider definitive for a grab-n-go. It will easily carry the C6, so the C5 would certainly not be a problem. And with an EQ mount, no issues with viewing at zenith. I've also used the setup as a spotting scope at the rifle range, the EQ mount presented no problems for terrestrial use.

10 hours ago, Luna-tic said:

Do you specifically want go-to, or is a manual mount with available tracking enough?  My first setup was a C6 and an Orion Astroview EQ mount, it was excellent. It is not go-to, but you can get it with RA tracking which was quite good for its price. The mount is lightweight and easily carried and set up, what I consider definitive for a grab-n-go. It will easily carry the C6, so the C5 would certainly not be a problem. And with an EQ mount, no issues with viewing at zenith. I've also used the setup as a spotting scope at the rifle range, the EQ mount presented no problems for terrestrial use.

Thank you for this info tic. I have a heavy duty Manfrotto photographic tripod that handles the C5 with stability. But it does restrict looking to the zenith. So it is a manual. Mount without restrictive. Movement. 

Archived