Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eq5/Bresser messier eq5

1 hour ago, Fieldsy said:

Hi all just a quick if you had a choice of mounts would you go for the Skywatcher EQ5 or the Bresser messier  EXOS 2/EQ5?.

the Skywatcher is about £100 less.

Don't know what your retailer is, but from what I see online, difference is more like £10 less in favor of SW (both non motorized and goto mounts).

Both are the same class mounts, so difference in price is down to details - like illuminated polar scope in basic version of EXOS 2.

8 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

I don't think the Exos-2 goto has a computer interface.?

Yes, it looks like you are right - standard Goto version does not mention ASCOM interface, there is however PMC-8 version that is ASCOM compatible (and has some apps to help control mount from various OSes and devices), but is indeed more expensive.

1 hour ago, alacant said:

You can use its st4 interface instead.

HTH

You can, and rely on the hand controller for most other things. Personally, I prefer to be able to plug in my laptop/pc and use *Stellarium to control the mount and do platesolving etc. But it's not essential to be able to do that. You would still need a laptop/computer to control a ccd/cooled imaging camera.

Louise

edit: * not to forget Eqmod too!

2 hours ago, Fieldsy said:

Skywatcher EQ5 is the better?

Hi. What do you want to do with the mount? Connect it to a computer and do photography through a camera or camera/telescope combination? Look through a telescope mounted upon it?

Cheers.

Archived