SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Takahashi v APM optical quality

Looks like @GavStar  got himself a free meal, unless he upgrades his refractor set-upon the meantime. Come along to one of our club meets if you want to look at the different options. @GavStar used to be diehard refractor user... took us a while, but we managed to get him to consider the benefits of mirrors (sometimes).

Good luck with whatever set of lenses you end up with!

PEterW

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, John said:

How many CFF owners are there on here ?

Not much discussion of Astro Physics scopes either for that matter.

Well there has been at least one owner of a CFF here ?. I’m a bit surprised that no others have popped up - they are pretty popular on CN and a bit cheaper relative to AP or TEC.

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

Looks like @GavStar  got himself a free meal, unless he upgrades his refractor set-upon the meantime. Come along to one of our club meets if you want to look at the different options. @GavStar used to be diehard refractor user... took us a while, but we managed to get him to consider the benefits of mirrors (sometimes).

Good luck with whatever set of lenses you end up with!

PEterW

@PeterWOnly because I worked out an 11 inch refractor would be a bit troublesome ?

Still refractors seem to be the most popular at Walton Astro! None of the faffing about ?

To the OP’s question, I think Olly’s suggestion of a second hand TEC140 would be a fantastic option - a scope to last a lifetime - and will go further than a Tak tsa120 with no more mounting requirements.

10 hours ago, DRT said:

So I start out wondering whether to buy a 120 Tak or saving money by buying a 150 APM lens cell and within 24 hours you guys have got me looking at the TEC 160 ?

You can always rely on Team SGL to help make you more confused than you were to begin with ?

Not wishing to be outdone, may I discretely draw your attention to the... well... this... https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/telescopes/tec/apo-250vt-f7.5-fluorit-apochromat.html

Olly

PS Dinner will include a bottle of Hospice de Beaune (the best wine your humble host has ever personally tasted) if you come so equipped - and ten bottles if you don't take it home with you. (Unlikely. I'm a realist.)

16 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Sorry for the confusion.  There's basically no confusion in the US between the two.

N o need to apologise - it is me who is confused! ?

2 hours ago, GavStar said:

Well there has been at least one owner of a CFF here ?. I’m a bit surprised that no others have popped up - they are pretty popular on CN and a bit cheaper relative to AP or TEC.

I hadn't even heard of CFF until it was mentioned in this thread. Having looked around on the internet they look like an extremely tempting option :wink: 

Derek, go for a TAK ? the TSA 120 looks and sounds great scope, and given the extra aperture if it is anything like their 100’s then you in for a treat. A Tak 120 will be my next scope if I ever move away from the DF ?? 

11 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Not wishing to be outdone, may I discretely draw your attention to the... well... this... https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/telescopes/tec/apo-250vt-f7.5-fluorit-apochromat.html

Olly

PS Dinner will include a bottle of Hospice de Beaune (the best wine your humble host has ever personally tasted) if you come so equipped - and ten bottles if you don't take it home with you. (Unlikely. I'm a realist.)

Did you notice the grey feet of the guy carrying the scope? I think he must have sold his femoral arteries to pay for it!.....probably worth it ?

16 minutes ago, Lockie said:

Did you notice the grey feet of the guy carrying the scope? I think he must have sold his femoral arteries to pay for it!.....probably worth it ?

I reckon you could get 36 CNC rings around that TEC250 quite comfortably ? ?

Runs for cover...

Archived