SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I have just removed 55mm from my new Tak tube !! and.......

2 hours ago, Stu said:

I’m sorry Richard, I can’t let that stand. The standard practise of two rings or a clamshell is perfectly adequate for a lightweight OTA such as the DL. Your setup may make you feel safer, but please accept that it is entirely unnecessary. I know of no one else who does this, and we cannot have this accepted as necessary practise, it is not.

I totally accept your right to do whatever you like with your kit, whatever you need to feel safe with it, but as Piero states with far more eloquence than me, please do not represent the standard practises as unsafe, they are not.

As I said, it's up to the owner. But just because a manufacturer provides certain mounting hardware, that does not mean it's anything more than adequate. 

Upgrading focusers, using centering clicklocks, better finder scopes, eyepieces etc are all part of the same scene. What comes in the box is cheap and adequate, but can and in some cases should be upgraded to better quality and design. 

6 hours ago, 25585 said:

As I said, it's up to the owner. But just because a manufacturer provides certain mounting hardware, that does not mean it's anything more than adequate. 

You seem quite happy with how your other heavier scopes are mounted which says a lot I think.

Upgrading focusers is done because there is a real benefit to doing so. Tak are a premium brand, the clamshell they provide is totally up to the job.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 25585 said:

Looking at my Tele Vue Genesis, it is in a clamshell ring. But that ring is held closed by 2 Allen bolts. The tube secure in that clamshell is attached to TV's Panoramic mount by 2 wing head bolts. In that case I feel one clamshell is fine. 

Yes, and it’s a right pain to do anything with if you want to remove it or rotate the scope.

8 hours ago, 25585 said:

Upgrading focusers, using centering clicklocks, better finder scopes, eyepieces etc are all part of the same scene. What comes in the box is cheap and adequate, but can and in some cases should be upgraded to better quality and design. 

I think the distinction here is that, in the instances you cite, individuals are possibly asking the provided accessories to operate towards the upper tolerances for which they were intended. For example, heavy cameras requiring an upgraded focuser. Right angled finderscopes to avoid cricked necks. And so on...

Your observation that the provided mounting hardware on premium scopes is just “cheap and adequate” begs the question “for what” ?

Having just evaluated exactly the same Tak mounting hardware during the purchase of a DF, I can correct you unequivocally on point 1. It isn’t cheap, either in price or in terms of its quality. It may not please your eye, but cheap it ain’t...

With regards to “is it fit for purpose” I think the list of owners worldwide reporting failures of the clamshells when used for visual use is probably close to zero. 

Now, have others chosen different mounting solutions ? Yes of course. But these have either mounted guidescopes or controller boxes atop their mounting hardware, or been clear that they have done so through choice, rather than necessity. 

Like others Richard, I feel the supplied clamshells are more than adequate for visual usage. And if weight savings were sought 2 rings (of any colour) would be worth consideration  

I think what I and others feel needs challenging on an open forum is the assertion that for visual usage the Tak mounting hardware isn’t up to the job. It is for 99.9% of people. 

If it isn’t for you, that’s fine. But please don’t carry on inferring it’s only adequate...

Enjoy your scope now you’ve set it up and get out and use it. Make the next shot you post one under the night sky  After all. You have no reason to not use it now !!

• Like 2

My 100 & 120 Equinox scopes have only their very good CNC OE rings, but I have replaced the Vixen bars with longer Losmandy D ones. 

I paid less for both together than half the price of my Tak. 

There will be no more photos of the DL posted. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Stargazer McCabe said:

Enjoy your scope now you’ve set it up and get out and use it. Make the next shot you post one under the night sky  After all. You have no reason to not use it now !!

This point I wholeheartedly agree with, I would love to see some observing reports from @25585 after using some of this lovely kit. That’s what it is all about after all.

My Tak is not in perfect condition, it has been used more than any other scope I have owned and has travelled around to plenty of places with me. I do hope it will travel abroad with me some day soon. It still delivers lovely views and I hope that I am never forced to sell it. Forced would certainly be the word, I would hope it stays with me for life, but the point is it is a scope that gets used, I am very careful with it but the important bit is what I see through it, not what it looks like.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stu said:

This point I wholeheartedly agree with, I would love to see some observing reports from @25585 after using some of this lovely kit. That’s what it is all about after all.

My Tak is not in perfect condition, it has been used more than any other scope I have owned and has travelled around to plenty of places with me. I do hope it will travel abroad with me some day soon. It still delivers lovely views and I hope that I am never forced to sell it. Forced would certainly be the word, I would hope it stays with me for life, but the point is it is a scope that gets used, I am very careful with it but the important bit is what I see through it, not what it looks like.

Said with passion, which is what its all about really. Life is unpredictable - great scope that's the main thing, also look forward to observing reports Richard / 25585.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Any system is only as strong as its weakest component.

No matter how you mount the scope, there will always be a point of potential failure.

I use a Tak clamshell (bought used from a former TSA-102 owner) on a Vixen 102 achromat. That clamshell is built like a tank

and makes it far easier to get the scope to balance than the original Vixen rings ever did.

Tony

• Like 4

3 hours ago, 25585 said:

There will be no more photos of the DL posted. 

Why no more photos of your DL ??

It takes all sorts to make the world go round. And just because you have strayed away from the conventional "Clamshell" of the Tak club. Then as long as your happy with the set up. And the mount set up looks after the safety and function of the scope then be happy with what you have and post more pics, You get the ? from me.

• Thanks 1

I have a clamshell for the 120mm Tak and it looks robust. The Losmandy dovetail by Farpoint has a recess for the boss on the bottom of the holder providing good security. I'm not so sure I would use a bar without this recess, just me.

image.png.df3e55d920823ffda9b6b88d8467cf63.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Timebandit said:

Why no more photos of your DL ??

It takes all sorts to make the world go round. And just because you have strayed away from the conventional "Clamshell" of the Tak club. Then as long as your happy with the set up. And the mount set up looks after the safety and function of the scope then be happy with what you have and post more pics, You get the ? from me.. 

I don’t think anyone has any issues about the kit used, each to their own. It is the insinuation that standard kit which the majority of us use is inadequate, or that we are somehow irresponsible for using it. If that stops then I think we can all move on.

I use two standard CNC rings from Ian King with an ADM vixen dovetail. It is perfectly safe, quite lightweight and allows me to safely rotate or shift the scope if I need to. I would use a similar setup on a DL, or perhaps try the clamshell, either are fine.

So, @25585, please can we stop the accusations of inadequacy against perfectly normal kit and get back to fun things, like looking through the blooming things! :) 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Stu said:

"Not in perfect condition" = character. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

On 27/05/2018 at 08:17, mikeDnight said:

Rings when Tak offer a superb, beautiful, matching and superior clamshell? And the rings are red for goodness sake. What would possess anyone with a modicum of good taste to put red rings on a beautiful, elegant, white, blue and silver Tak tube assembly? It would be like putting Micra wheels on a Porche. :icon_puke_r::evil4:

I have Micra wheels on my porch.   ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Dear SGLers, please stop this right now!

How one of our members chooses to mount his fine scope, that is his or her choice.
If the type of mounting, type, colour or number offends, oh well.......we are all different are we not.
If someone has an opinion that they wish to very much MOUNT the very expensive scope they have bought and they express the opinion that the standard equipment is not up to the job, so be it, its a personal choice.
This escalating post situation, has gone beyond me and any agreement I may have had from an engineers background.

Put a stop to this right NOW, all of you - Play nice, be nice.

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 1

On 29/05/2018 at 13:41, Star Struck said:

Any system is only as strong as its weakest component.

No matter how you mount the scope, there will always be a point of potential failure.

I use a Tak clamshell (bought used from a former TSA-102 owner) on a Vixen 102 achromat. That clamshell is built like a tank

and makes it far easier to get the scope to balance than the original Vixen rings ever did.

Tony

Me too Tony. I use a 114mm FS102mm clamshell on my Vixen ED103s, as I have posted before. Solid as a rock.

Dave

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Alan White said:

If someone has an opinion that they wish to very much MOUNT the very expensive scope they have bought and they express the opinion that the standard equipment is not up to the job, so be it, its a personal choice.

Hi Alan,

The issue here is not 25585’s desire to mount his scope in which ever way he wishes, it is the fact that we should not mislead any new starters or inexperienced users to think it is necessary. Two decent quality standard rings or a clamshell (from ANY reputable manufacturer) are perfectly adequate.

Once the insinuations that they are not up to the job stop then there should not be any further need to counter them.

cheers,

Stu

• Like 5