Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Planning the Milky Way arch

My wife and I decided on Menorca for our summer holidays back in January. Immediately I thought of the Milky Way, dark skies and the need for a new Moon :)

I downloaded the little app " PhotoPills " and began the grand plan. I got the time right, the location right but the one thing I didn't get right was the awful light pollution from the next resort ! I couldn't go much further to the left because I was near the end of the headland. Damn.

The full unprocessed mosaic shows the centre of the Milky Way being wiped out ! The shorter mosaic shows a crop and process of the same scene and the square crop was shot with a bit of cloud in the sky. I quite like the effect of the cloud and I reluctantly concede the street lights did help. The lighthouse is Favaritx and I wanted the Milky Way arching over it.

All taken with a little Sony RX-100. 24mm equivalent lens at f1.8 and ISO 6400 for 15 seconds per shot. I did some noise reduction but such a tiny chip is inviting loads of noise so I tried not to go too far.

The best laid plans eh ?

Dave.

Milky Way Light.jpg

Milky Way crop.jpg

Milky cloud crop.jpg

37 minutes ago, Daniel-K said:

still great effort. if you reduce the orange saturation is PS ( filter-camera raw filter- HSL )  should help tone it down a tad

Cheers. I left it there to show how bad it was and how well I had planned the shot :)

Dave

Archived