Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New ZWO Mini Guide Scope has arrived

4 hours ago, Jonk said:

Looks cute - how sturdy is the foot, it would probably suit guide rings better?

Should pair nicely with a Star Adventurer.

I think with an ASI120 on the back, it should prove just right for wider field, lighter weight setups - I agree a Star Adventurer would make a nice pairing as would an AZ GTI.

• 1 month later...

I’m thinking of one of these as an electronic finder scope rather than as a guide scope. I’m using a Skymax 127 on an AZ-GTi on my balcony and once setup I don’t have enough room to look down a rdf. This and the narrow field of view of the scope is making initial aligntment a bit of a challenge. I thought with one of these and a ZWO camera I could do it all remotely from the comfort of my sofa. Is there any level of adjustment to ensure it’s pointing to the same place in the sky as the main scope? Or is this just meant for autoguiding. 

On 07/07/2018 at 10:11, JimothyC said:

Is there any level of adjustment to ensure it’s pointing to the same place in the sky as the main scope? Or is this just meant for autoguiding. 

It is intended as a guide-scope.

It has nice wide FOV so you will have no difficulty finding a suitable guide star but it isn't a good choice for use as a finder. 

HTH, 

Steve

• 1 month later...

There is an option - $58 from Agena Astro (OFIN-AG-MRRF-M5).  The base of the reflex finder is curved OK, but the screws with the finder are not long enough and the wrong thread.  I believe buying longer M5 or M6 screws will work, but I have  not bought the replacement screws yet to test.

• 1 year later...

I know this is late but i have made an 3D printed adapter to make these two fit here is a link for anyone who may want it

it is held to the 61 by two M4 x 10 screws you may need to file these a little to stop them hitting the focus tube

You will need a square M3 nut and a M3 x 10 screw to clamp the guide scope to the adapter.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4140009

all the best

Bob

Edited by redpiperbob
  • Like 1