Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

cloudsweeper

Bit Of Daylight Moon Action

......9.00pm - beautifully framed in the 36mm Hyperion, with the heavily cratered south looking good.  And still being light, the intensity of the Moon itself was not overpowering.

Doug.

• Like 2

This is really good - 9.25pm - Clavius in the south with its arc of craters of diminishing size - and it's nice and mild, and no dewshield on the 'scope.  This time of year has its advantages!

Doug.

• Like 2

...and a little later, x203, many more tiny craterlets clear to the south of Clavius - even better at x254, not so great at x303.  Finished at 9.40, sky still light, but having had splendid views without being blinded by Luna.  Lovely.

Doug.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, des anderson said:

Careful.......you could start a trend. Des

Yes Des - I can thoroughly recommend sessions like this one.  Towards the end, lunar detail was good, without blinding me.  Clavius is a fine target - deep, shadowy, 231km across, packed with smaller/tiny craterlets.  Also - no dewing, no fumbling in the dark, and only light clothing - plus good company and a little liquid refreshment.  A marvellous and unplanned session!

7 hours ago, laudropb said:

Nice report. Did much the same myself. Just finished.

Thanks John - I bet you had as much pleasure as I did!

Doug.

• Like 1

That all sounds very civilised Doug :) 

I have been enjoying a few early evenings like that myself, great fun and very relaxed.

• Like 1

Had another go last night, targeting the very elongated Schiller.  Its central ridge (northern section) was clear, but despite trying a range of mags (with/without filter), I just could not see its prominent craterlet.  Too bright I suppose, at 3 days before full. 

Some you win, some you lose, but it's always fun trying!

Doug.

• Like 2

Late evening lunar is such a pleasure, replace the refreshment and it could be me.

Your 8se gets a lot of use Doug, must suit you well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alan White said:

Late evening lunar is such a pleasure, replace the refreshment and it could be me.

Your 8se gets a lot of use Doug, must suit you well.

Very true Alan!  

The 8SE - Yes, a fine instrument, very easy to use, and although I also like the frac (and plan next on getting a manual Dob) I do enjoy GoTo, tracking, and GPS.  (So I'm a quasi-Luddite I suppose.  ?)

BTW Alan, what would you replace the refreshment with?

Doug.