SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M101

Barry-Wilson

The weather has improved in Spain over the last few weeks and we have captured 30+hrs on M101 comprising Lum 56 x 600s; 30 x600s each RGB and Ha 18 x 1200s.

With this level of data the colour revealed shining through has been terrific.  Deconvolution helped the detail within the luminance and some gentle teasing with local histogram equilisation and contrast curves helped the detail tight within the core.  I was surprised by how much detail the FSQ106 captured: see crop.

Details:

• Tak FSQ106 at F5
  • 10 Micron GM1000HPS
  • QSI683wsg-8 with Astrodon filters
  • Lum 56 x 600s; RGB 30 x 600s each; Ha 18 x 1200s
  • Data acquisition: Steve Milne & Barry Wilson
  • Processing: Barry Wilson

Full Frame:

LRHaGB_EnhBlend.thumb.jpg.b7b078420dc6834d1ca2f2addab40e83.jpg

Crop:

LRHaGB_EnhBlend_crop.thumb.jpg.1db80ef093303e51fa75f6817ccf0bb5.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Wow, another cracking result!

There is in indeed a lot of detail there in the close up but the wider field image with the “neighbouring” galaxies is just sublime.

I was sort of hoping that you had captured the data from the UK but alas that would be too good to be true....

Super M101 Barry, I've been gathering data on it over the past couple off weeks when weather allowed, may have to give up soon and have a crack at processing, at least I've got something to aspire to now :) 

Dave

Smashing Barry. I love the full-frame FOV. I do like the subtle processing in terms of both colour and not being over-sharpened - so many of the highly-recognised imagers overdo both imho with a very unnatural-looking end result.

Good to see the stars are re-appearing in Spain at long last! 

23 hours ago, celestron8g8 said:

Awesome , thanks for sharing !

Thanks Ron.

23 hours ago, Pig said:

Very nice images ?

Cheers Pig (doesn't feel right typing that ?)

21 hours ago, MrsGnomus said:

Looking good Barry. @gnomus is gnashing at the teeth to have a g(n)o at the data but is going to have to be patient for a couple more weeks.

Thank you Mrs G - I can just picture Steve's face now . . . . ?

19 hours ago, tomato said:

Wow, another cracking result!

There is in indeed a lot of detail there in the close up but the wider field image with the “neighbouring” galaxies is just sublime.

I was sort of hoping that you had captured the data from the UK but alas that would be too good to be true....

Ha, ha . . . just run out darkness now even this far south in the UK.  A patient wait now until summer nebula season is possible.  Spain will keep a few hours of darkness . . . yes!

18 hours ago, des anderson said:

SO MUCH DETAIL. Now that`s what you call a image. Des

Much apprecaited DEs.  The optics of the FSQ106 are quite astonishing: it is a top scope.

18 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Super M101 Barry, I've been gathering data on it over the past couple off weeks when weather allowed, may have to give up soon and have a crack at processing, at least I've got something to aspire to now :) 

Dave

Well done Dave.  I hope your gremlins are now behind you?

6 hours ago, Petergoodhew said:

Smashing Barry. I love the full-frame FOV. I do like the subtle processing in terms of both colour and not being over-sharpened - so many of the highly-recognised imagers overdo both imho with a very unnatural-looking end result.

Good to see the stars are re-appearing in Spain at long last! 

Thanks Peter.  How are you fairing?

16 minutes ago, Barry-Wilson said:

Well done Dave.  I hope your gremlins are now behind you?

Funny you should say that Barry, the 10Micron refused to boot up a few nights ago, it's been doing this occasionally since new, they had it back once and I thought they'd fixed it but apparently they just sent it back because they couldn't find the fault, they're now going to supply replacement box.

I've tried it every night since and it's started first time :icon_scratch:

Dave

3 hours ago, Barry-Wilson said:

Thank you Mrs G - I can just picture Steve's face now . . . . ?

We have at least managed some visual astronomy while we have been away - a splendid impromptu star party just outside Joshua Tree National Park on Saturday and then two afternoons and evenings at the Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff on Monday and Tuesday including a view of the moon through the 24” refractor that they have there. Last night we managed to get set up in Arches National Park for an hour or so with our travel mount and scope so he isn’t being too deprived....and then there is always Team Viewer.....

Archived