Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25.thumb.jpg.f1d5d01d306644f613efd90ef96b314c.jpg

GyCx

Adaptors for QHY8

Hi All.

Can anyone tell me what adaptors I need to attach a QHY8 onto a Celestron C11 OTA (non edge)

Many thanks.

Assuming it comes with a 2' visual back then Ian's suggestion will work.

But imaging at 2800mm  I'd suggest you need a much more rigid attachment , such as a SCT thread to T2,  that will give screwed arrachment  to the whole imaging chain.

Michael

Would I also have to extend to achieve focus?

Just tried the SCT - T2 it fits the camera. Not sure if this will need an extension tho. Going to try to get focus tomorrow.

Most SCTs have a huge focus range so shouldn't be a problem.

Try during the day on a distant landmark to get you in the ballpark.

Ah QHY8 not dslr, might be too sensitive for daytime.....

Michael 

Edited by michael8554

You wont need an extension - I use my QHY8 with an SCT, I use a SCT to 2" Adapter

On 25/05/2018 at 19:47, GyCx said:

Would I also have to extend to achieve focus?

No.  SCTs focus by moving the focal plane to the sensor position rather than moving the sensor position to coincide with the focal plane, so as long as your sensor is somewhere relatively near to where focus would be with an eyepiece (even several centimetres out should be fine) you should get focus.

However, there has been discussion in the past about the optimal sensor position based on where the SCT produces the best-corrected image.  I can't recall the position for a C11 (I'd guess something like 40mm to 50mm behind the visual back?), but generally I think it's roughly where you'd expect an eyepiece to need the focal plane to be (which I think is also where the OTA actually has the quoted focal length, because that varies depending on the focus position too).  I believe the figures for all the Celestron SCTs are online somewhere.  Having an extension to put the camera sensor in a similar position should give the most optimal result even if you can get focus elsewhere.

James

C11

5.475 in from 3 in-2 in Reducer Plate 
5.975 in from 3 in Primary Mirror Baffle Tube Lock Ring

Celestrons site saying 5.475  im using a SCT camera adaptor, the standard 'Celestron' adaptor