SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Now I have a dilemma...

I own quite a few scopes (if Telescopes Anonymous were I thing, I would definitely be sent to meetings) and I clearly have difficulty letting go of old things.

With LZOS triplets (at least in smaller apertures for the foreseeable future) coming to an end, I could not resist the opportunity to pick up one of the final 130mm f/9 scopes (especially when the measured strehl at 532nm is 0.992) which I have wanted for a very long time. When I googled the scope I even found two old tweets from 3 years ago that I sent stating that.

However, to make room I decided I would have to sell one, and most crucially, that is also what I told my new CFO.

The choice seemed obvious. The LZOS made TMB 115 f/7. While optically it is a bit better than my 105, and goes a bit deeper, unlike the 105 it is not airline portable and it is close in aperture to the scope that is coming. However, being somewhat susceptible to nostalgia, it is my oldest high quality scope having purchased it 2004. So I felt a little sad at the thought. But I would soldier on.

As I expect the 130 soon, I thought I should use the 115 for old times sake (having not used it for quite some time) so took it to Regents Park last night for a Baker Street Irregular star party. Problem is, it reminded me how good the scope is, and now I don’t wan to part with it! Now what do I do? ?

I should add (perhaps it is the out I am looking for) that when my wife saw I was taking it, she did ask “if I really wanted to sell it?”

549BB48A-F5A7-488D-A816-DAF464410B02.thumb.jpeg.3019392fae9baf6a0163d873408c9858.jpeg

Now I really can’t talk about having too many scopes (particularly refractors) but having a 105, 115 and 130, it seems to me the 115 is a bit redundant. But if you have permission to keep it and the space then why not? (Reminds me that I should have a clear out of a couple of my scopes as well)

It's a difficult one alright. So far I have kept all 5 of my refractors and I'm using them, almost on a rota. Each one does things a little bit differently and I know I'd miss it if it was gone. Unless the need was really pressing I would probably keep the 115mm.

FWIW my refractors are currently:

TV Ranger 70mm F/6.8, Tak FC-100DL F/9, Vixen ED102SS F/6.5, Skywatcher ED120 F/7.5 and the TMB/LZOS 130mm F/9.2 triplet. 

Even with 2 at more or less the same aperture I find that they varying focal ratios give them different characters and abilities. The Skywatcher ED120 keeps pace with the more exotic company well and is the frac that I use for outreach on the basis that it's has the least financial value but it's also quite a bit easier to port and mount than the TMB/LZOS.

Congratulations on the LZOS 130mm F/9.2 - they are truly superb instruments :icon_biggrin:

Markus tells me that production will stop very shortly at the 114th unit. Mine is #20.

Matthew, I suspect it is more of a space thing than a money thing.... and I really do think that in future you would regret selling a scope which has so many memories for you. I say exert your CEO/COO seniority and keep it :) 

15 minutes ago, Stu said:

Matthew, I suspect it is more of a space thing than a money thing.... and I really do think that in future you would regret selling a scope which has so many memories for you. I say exert your CEO/COO seniority and keep it :) 

I’m the analyst in my household - rarely am I able to overrule the CEO ?

But, Matthew on the subject of available space and being based in London, NV monoculars really don’t take up much space ?. If it was a choice between keeping 4 or 5 fracs or having NV and only 1 or 2 fracs the NV option would win every time for me.

If you are fond of it, then keep it. :) 

----

As a side note, in general, I do not understand this auto-elected CFO role...  I mean, having an open conversation about a new purchase is one thing, having to ask for permission is another. I've also had met some CFOs in the past. They did not accept a word on their expenses, but expected to have control on mine. Glad that they are now working in other companies?

If the LZOS triplets are coming to an end, it sounds as if they are not going to fall in value. Consider it as a financial asset on your personal balance sheet, available for sale at any time. If and when you need the cash, sure sell it, but in the meantime just because you haven't turned it into cash now doesn't mean you can't at any time you need. And of course you get the effectively "free" pleasure of using it and comparing it whenever you want.

Cheers, Magnus

[at least, this is the argument I use to justify my own ridiculous collection of binoculars!]

2 hours ago, Piero said:

As a side note, in general, I do not understand this auto-elected CFO role...  I mean, having an open conversation about a new purchase is one thing, having to ask for permission is another. I've also had met some CFOs in the past. They did not accept a word on their expenses, but expected to have control on mine. Glad that they are now working in other companies?

Piero, it’s just tongue in cheek.... In reality mature discussions are had (normally! ?)

Unless you are going to spend the money on something that will improve your observing enjoyment and make the sale worthwhile (like GavStars's suggestion of NV) I'd definitely keep it.

I learnt a long time ago with hi-fi equipment that as soon as I sell something, I need to use it for something I didn't forsee when I sold it, so I try to learn from that with my astro gear. I am struggling to find a use for the wax cylinder record player though! ?

Thanks everyone.  Some good suggestions and thoughts. It is a space issue but I might be able to make it work. I will sleep on it for a day or two and make a decision (along with discussing with that CFO again! ?)

Your scope is such a beauty. If I would be in your shoes I'm sure I'd rather sell my clothes and focus on things I really don't need and would mark them as junk to make more space. I've got a lot of stuff I haven't used in ages and I'm sure I won't in the next 10 years. So consider a decluttering before you do something you will regret.

Please take the following light-heartedly. :smile:

We all saw the wedding cake. There is no way - none - in this universe that the CFO did not know the full extent of matters beforehand.

You deserve extra credit for your attempts to be considerate and do The Right Thing, and all that. We understand. Really. :thumbsup:

There are two ways of bringing balance to any state - removing from one side, or adding to the other. Rather than allowing yourself less, perhaps there's an alternative?

Just a thought.

:smile:

On 26/05/2018 at 15:56, iPeace said:

Please take the following light-heartedly. :smile:

We all saw the wedding cake. There is no way - none - in this universe that the CFO did not know the full extent of matters beforehand.

Haha. You just made me laugh out loud with that statement.

Archived