Narrowband

Hi from Birmingham :)

Silvien

Hello everyone! 

I'm originally from Hungary and moved to the UK a few years ago. Since last year I did some observations, but from this year I started to get deeper into the depths of skywatching and currently making a list of low magnitude stars which might be visible from the back garden. I've read numerous posts from this forum as during my searching on google, this site came up most often with the most useful answers(e.g. this is how I ended up buying eyepieces from Alan)  :D So I decided since I'm expanding my knowlegde mostly here I should join a try to contribute somehow and give a few tips along the way of getting some experience( when I will have some :D). 

So my gear so far is a Bresser Pollux 150*1400 F/8 reflector of which I love so I'm trying to gather the possibilities it may have. If you have any tips or tricks for this scope I'm happy to see and try.

Sorry for the long intro, I'm a lady so I can't help it. :D

P.s: The pic below was shot with my phone held in front of the eyepiece( yes it was indeed a headache but as a first photo I'm very pleased with the result).

20180129_212706_HDR.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome from land down under  

Bit more exploring

Solar viewing

With the dust cover, you should have a small removable cap

On the underside of the cap, just sticky tape a piece of Baader film, then replace the dust cover on to your scope

With reduce light gathering due to the smaller hole in the dust cover, and using Baader film, you can now observe the sun

Be sure to leave off your spotting scope

Attached is a pic showing solar eclipse in 2012 using mobile phone camera, and attached process

John

Solar Eclipse.jpg

5 hours ago, cletrac1922 said:

Welcome from land down under  

Bit more exploring

Solar viewing

With the dust cover, you should have a small removable cap

On the underside of the cap, just sticky tape a piece of Baader film, then replace the dust cover on to your scope

With reduce light gathering due to the smaller hole in the dust cover, and using Baader film, you can now observe the sun

Be sure to leave off your spotting scope

Attached is a pic showing solar eclipse in 2012 using mobile phone camera, and attached process

John

Solar Eclipse.jpg

Thanks for the info, I will definitely check it out! 

16 hours ago, mark81 said:

Hi welcome to SGL - that's a nice picture.  I cam never line my phone up to the eyepiece for some reason...

I was playing at least 30 minutes or more to take a more or less decent picture :D The biggest challenge was to hold the phone in one hand and find out the correct degree, take a picture without shaking while keeping the moon in target ( not to mention the wobbling while turning the knobs) . So yes, it's a pain in the back, but dont give up :D

The eyepiece was a 20mm (not using Barlow), I couldn't align with anything smaller because the diameters were too small, sometimes even for my eyes. But hey you work with what you've got:) Recently I bought some BST eyepieces and if the weather allows me, I will try to take some shooting with those eyepieces as well. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again all for the warm welcome :)

Hello and welcome! Hope you find this forum useful, there are lots of nice people who can help you with anything, I myself have gotten a lot of advice from here. If you want to note your equipment you can do it with the Signature, you can find it somwhere in the settings. And if you wanna take some better photos I would recommend a phone adaptor that sticks to your eyepiece. My profile pic was taken from and iPhone 5s with Procam 4, but remember, for planetary taking videos and stacking them using registax or autostakkert will give you much better results.  -Clear skies!

Archived