SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What are you doing to fill these short summer nights?

dannybgoode

Me - I am taking the opportunity to fully learn all the ins and outs of my mount, scopes, test software, computer connections etc.  Actually being able to do this in daylight and (at the moment at least) warmth is hugely beneficial - I tried getting to grips with my mount in the cold dark winter and it was just a lesson in frustration!  Hooking up usb leads, updating firmware, doing trial runs of alignment routines and getting the computer to talk to the mount are all also so much easier when you can actually see!

I find as well if I fiddle long enough something may just appear that makes it worth actually putting in an eyepiece for an hour or so which is a nice reward for all the 'study'.

I am also re-reading Making Every Photon Counts, reading SGL and studying star maps so come late August onward I will be just that bit more confident I actually have a bit of an idea what I am actually doing!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching Venus gradually changing size and phase will be good fun, trying to find it in broad daylight also adds to the challenge, and attempting to see any detail adds further to the challenge but I don't hold much hope for the last objective, that would feel like a lottery win.

I'm going to be rewiring my setup but still getting my old reflector out for Jupiter and Saturn :) There's some software I really need to get to grips with - firstly to improve my processing and also to investigate some new methods of scope/imaging control. Being entirely Mac based my options have often been limited but there's some interesting stuff out there I want to look at.

Planetary imaging.... Hmmmm... there's a thought.

Even though it's not wholly dark it can still be nice to get the scope out.. and I'm going to see how much ha imaging I can do.

Now that I've said all that I've guaranteed weeks of cloud haven't I! :)

We have Jupiter at opposition, Mars and Saturn approaching it, the Moon intermittently and the Sun during the day. Nights are not as cold so I don't have to freeze my you-know-what off to see all this good stuff, what's not to like? In fact I am observing more now than I have done in the last couple of winter seasons.

I just love this time of year when you don’t need all of your kit against the freezing temperatures and you can go out and see all of the planets, life just feels great when your not freezing to death, but maybe I am just getting old ?

Some occasional Lunar observing from home whilst comparing, gaining knowledge from descriptive accounts in observers reports. Nice not to think about layering up, though I do look forward to late summer, autumn conditions and resuming dark sky trips.   

19 minutes ago, dannybgoode said:

Out of interest why is it good for double stars. Not a subject I know anything about. 

Many doubles don’t need dark skies to observe them, infact twilight can help control glare around the brighter ones.

Solar, lunar and planetary observing mainly for me, will also try imaging the same targets with my new Galaxy S9.

@LukeSkywatcher you can’t really miss Jupiter at the moment, very bright opposite Venus in the West and transitting before midnight. Plus as said, Saturn and Mars in the morning sky but getting earlier obviously through to their oppositions. Four bright planets visible, how many do you want? ;);) 

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Solar, lunar and planetary observing mainly for me, will also try imaging the same targets with my new Galaxy S9. 

Are you going to knock Kokatha Man off the "Best Jupiter image" podium Stu?

Chris

29 minutes ago, chiltonstar said:

Are you going to knock Kokatha Man off the "Best Jupiter image" podium Stu?

Chris

Ssssh Chris, I was hoping to keep that plan secret while I put the finishing touches to it..... ;) 

Planets, Venus mostly and Jupiter when the obstructions allow. The Moon is always good value whatever the time of year. some Noctilucent cloud hopefully around the corner as well.

Mostly looking forward to watching Venus change shape and size, trying to get a decently detailed image of some of the cloud structures.

8 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

trying to get a decently detailed image of some of the cloud structures.

Actually that should be a challenge I take on, trying to see some sort of detail on Venus! 

I've been doing more astronomy during the past month than I did in the previous few months before it. The weather and my motivation were rather poor but both seem to have improved a lot lately :smiley:

Being retired does help as most of the time I don't need to get up early so I can wait for the darker hours.

5 hours ago, Stu said:

Many doubles don’t need dark skies to observe them, infact twilight can help control glare around the brighter ones.

@LukeSkywatcher you can’t really miss Jupiter at the moment, very bright opposite Venus in the West and transitting before midnight. Plus as said, Saturn and Mars in the morning sky but getting earlier obviously through to their oppositions. Four bright planets visible, how many do you want? ;);) 

I'm in bed by 11 most night and don't get up til 8. Only reason I saw it is because in hospital they seem to think sleep is bad for you

Archived