SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Satellites

I was out doing some stargazing just now and there was something that looked like a satellite leaving a trail behind it. Never seen this before. Is it normal for a trail to be left behind?

Thanks. I just assumed it was a satellite because of the speed it was moving. Never considered it could be something cooler ? i should clarfiy that the trail looked like a long line of cloud.... and has lingered, if that makes a difference

1 hour ago, Taleah said:

Thanks. I just assumed it was a satellite because of the speed it was moving. Never considered it could be something cooler ? i should clarfiy that the trail looked like a long line of cloud.... and has lingered, if that makes a difference

Some meteors leave dust trails, maybe you spotted that. They last seconds to the eye but a binoc can show them for up to a minute, it's fun to see the trail change shape while upper atmosphere air currents distort it, but it's quite rare. If that's what you saw, you were lucky; I've witnessed that only a handful of times in decades.

Thanks guys. It probably was just a boring plane. It just moved super fast and i didnt get a chance to look at it properly ? still got to see some other amazing things

Taleah

Download ISS APP to your mobile device

Shows predictions of ISS and other satellites over your location

Heavens Above APP also gives you same as well as showing what is currently visible heavens above you

You been enjoying Stargazer Live

Last night 8 of our clubs members did a presentation for Guinness Book of Records attempt most people viewing through a scope at the moon at the same time at a school on the Goldcoast

We had about 80 students and parents present and had 43 viewing through a scope at same time as part of the record attempt

John

Archived