SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Early morning comet (maybe)

Craig2017

Good morning everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone can help me. I have been waking up and driving to work just before sunrise for the last few weeks and I keep seeing a streak in the sky. First of all I thought it was a plane but then I kept seeing it and still now I can see it. It's in the east just right of where the sun rises. Can anyone tell me if it's a comet or no please, if it is I'm going to forget going to work early and get my scope out and have a gander at it. 

Thanks everyone.

6 minutes ago, Craig2017 said:

If it is a beam of sunlight how would it look like a plane streak/ comet? Wouldn't it have to bounce off something?

It would be "bouncing" off of either water droplets or ice crystals in the atmosphere. I'm not saying that's what it is. Sunlight when it hits water droplets causes rainbows. Sun halos are caused the same way. Sunlight hitting water or ice droplets. 

Have you any pics? 

3 hours ago, Craig2017 said:

Would mercury show up as a streak across the sky?

Not unless it had been hit by something! I didn't read what you were describing properly.

Archived