Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First daylight observation of Venus

N3ptune

I just saw @mikeDnight's sketch bellow and I find this very interesting to compare with my own observation from 2018-05-20 Venus during daylight. Thanks for your drawing.

This one is my first effective daylight Venus observation with a properly cooled tube at my disposition (at last). There is not much to see in my sketch but I spent at least 25 minutes looking at the target to be able to capture some shades, it was a success for the first time. I had chance with my Fujiyama HD-OR 7mm 143x, that's the only eyepiece I used enough to extract results. The others were Xcel LX-9mm 111x not enough power to resolve anything and ES 4.7mm 212x not quite has sharp has the 7mm to resolve anything.

I tried to log the darkest patches of darkness and this is the result with my 200 x 1000 Newtonian has always. Some of it should be good but it was a difficult exercise.

bpZ9F3u.jpg?2

Has well, 3 filters were used during the 25 minutes #25 red, #23a Light Red and #47 Violet. They all gave the same kind of results which was, defining the disk itself and the phase. The various shades were captured using these 3 filters alternatively. It seems to me the #23a had an edge over the others because of extra transmission.

Hr36f4P.jpg?1

Thanks for watching and reading.

Nice report N3ptune. Not an easy thing to do, I don’t think I have knowingly seen any detail on Venus, but also have never used filters when viewing it.

I believe sensitivity to the UV end of the visible spectrum varies quite a lot so some people find it easier to see than others. I think that’s what I’ve read anyway!

Thanks Stu.

I am testing these filters to see if they can do any good but it will take many years of testing on the planets. After a few months, I am still motivated with them.. One in particular is the 38a Dark Blue, it's very effective for the full moon observation, a real charm with my 9mm eyepiece giving an exit pupil of 1.8mm or larger then that. It has an effect of darkening the mares even more and the white and bright spots of the moon will pop out, meteorites "splashes" will pop out too because they are very pale. I call it my full moon filter.

I tried it on Jupiter a few days ago and some features were appearing on/off, features corresponding to white ovals inside the SS Temperate belt, not far away from the GRS.  I need to do more tests to revalidate 100%. but this filter has some very powerful contrasting effect on very white features surrounded by darker features.

Shades were visible that's for sure but to get the exact shape that's another story.  I am pretty sure the involved color filters played an important role in my previous results. For instance with the #23a the disk had much more definition, it's removing all the glare around the planet and the interior the disk is sharp and different has well.

After that it's a matter of waiting to get a few seconds of clear atmospheric conditions and catch the shades.

That's an excellent sketch N3ptune, and there appears to be a good match for the shadings and brighter areas with those on the attachment you added. My scope is only small, so the image isn't overly bright and I rarely feel the need for filters. On your 200mm I'd imagine the brilliance of the planet could overpower the subtle cloud top features, so using filters is a wise decision. I believe Wrattan 11 & 14 yellow filters are good for Venus and I've had some success with Wratten 21 orange. Last year, when Venus was a very thin crescent, I used Wratten 80A blue filters just placed over the eyepieces in my binoviewer, and was very impressed by the apparent reduction in turbulence which noticeably sharpened the image.  It's well worth experimenting to find what works best for you and your scope!

Great Sketch! :thumbsup:

10 hours ago, N3ptune said:

3 filters were used during the 25 minutes #25 red, #23a Light Red and #47 Violet. They all gave the same kind of results which was, defining the disk itself and the phase. The various shades were captured using these 3 filters alternatively. It seems to me the #23a had an edge over the others because of extra transmission.

Lovely report N3ptune. You might find this article by Paul Abel about filters for observing the planets helpful.

@JeremySThanks for the link JeremyS it was an interesting article, gives me new ideas of things to try (like using the #8 yellow on Jupiter has an all rounder). @mikeDnight it's fun to try them at least, not expensive either. I am on my way out right not to resume my observations.

I has another look at Venus last evening with about the same good conditions, I had 4/5 clear sky at least and 4 out of 5 good seeing with a bit of wind. I started on Venus during daylight again and with my 4.7mm eyepiece which gave no significant results regarding the clouds, although the disc was clear enough and defined at 212x, no shades were available. Then, the same thing happened has the first time with the reduction of power to 143x and using the 23a light red, the shades were there again without too much doubt, overall resolution was good. 

I did a test with the #38a paired with the the same 7mm eyepiece but with no positive results came out of that combination.. it needs the red color apparently.

The shades were at about the same position has my previous sketch, the darkest part, a large spot in the middle of the planet. I talk about very faint shades just for this to be clear it's everything but obvious. I have to say the 1:10 focuser was my very best friend in this exercise, to fine tune the focus with the Orthoscopic eyepiece.. has well has tracking.

JJDI2gm.jpg

I found these interesting pictures in the Imaging section from @Pete Presland My shades are not exactly at the same position.. that, I can't explain why but in therms of contrast, the darkest parts, from what I could see visually, that's about it at a paler scale.

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/314126-venus-from-thursday-10th-in-uv/

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/313997-venus-in-uv-some-better-conditions-at-last/

Thanks for watching again.

3 hours ago, N3ptune said:

I has another look at Venus last evening with about the same good conditions, I had 4/5 clear sky at least and 4 out of 5 good seeing with a bit of wind. I started on Venus during daylight again and with my 4.7mm eyepiece which gave no significant results regarding the clouds, although the disc was clear enough and defined at 212x, no shades were available. Then, the same thing happened has the first time with the reduction of power to 143x and using the 23a light red, the shades were there again without too much doubt, overall resolution was good. 

I did a test with the #38a paired with the the same 7mm eyepiece but with no positive results came out of that combination.. it needs the red color apparently.

The shades were at about the same position has my previous sketch, the darkest part, a large spot in the middle of the planet. I talk about very faint shades just for this to be clear it's everything but obvious. I have to say the 1:10 focuser was my very best friend in this exercise, to fine tune the focus with the Orthoscopic eyepiece.. has well has tracking.

JJDI2gm.jpg

I found these interesting pictures in the Imaging section from @Pete Presland My shades are not exactly at the same position.. that, I can't explain why but in therms of contrast, the darkest parts, from what I could see visually, that's about it at a paler scale.

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/314126-venus-from-thursday-10th-in-uv/

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/313997-venus-in-uv-some-better-conditions-at-last/

Thanks for watching again.

Thank you for mentioning my images.

I also notice a difference from session to session. I think what we are seeing is the rotation of the cloud features, which I believe takes around  5 days. 

Not to be confused with the rotation of the actual planets surface, which is a much longer period.

@Pete Presland No problems pictures are great and were useful for me too, Ill be very attentive to cloud rotation to catch the changes. This adventure will continue tonight with my new 6mm Orthoscopic eyepiece with 23 more X of power, in an attempt to see more of those clouds again.

Thanks @des anderson All this is pure pleasure!

5 hours ago, N3ptune said:

@Pete Presland No problems pictures are great and were useful for me too, Ill be very attentive to cloud rotation to catch the changes. This adventure will continue tonight with my new 6mm Orthoscopic eyepiece with 23 more X of power, in an attempt to see more of those clouds again.

Thanks @des anderson All this is pure pleasure!

Thinking about the difference in the shading yo are seeing and what I am imaging. I wonder if the fact I am using a UV filter, I am probably seeing detail that is not visible to the human eye? Where as you with your 23a filter is the opposite.

Next time I get a chance on Venus I will try to remember to try a 23a filter as well.

Archived