Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

[HELP]best choice for Solar viewing/imaging for 1500$ I have "80mm objective lens doublet of 600mm focal length (f/7.5)"

Amajed

Hi

so I'm searching for 2 days now for my best option of viewing/imaging the Sun "details of the surface" (if I have to chose one. I'd go with imaging)

as I mentioned, I already have the Orion ED80 80mm objective lens doublet of 600mm focal length (f/7.5) (same as the Skywatcher)

from researching:

I looked into Drop of Sun topic, which was very good and informative HERE

also looked into a similar question HERE

so I'm not sure which path I should go. is it the Daystar QUARK CHROMOSPHERE MODEL? or another option of your suggestion. or an entire new solar telescope (around 1500$) like LUNT LS60THA SOLAR TELESCOPE – TILT-TUNED with 12mm Blocking fliter (cost 1650$)

or is it really worth it to spend an extra 500$ and get LUNT LS60THA SOLAR TELESCOPE and 12mm Blocking filter?

I have a Sony A7R III Camera. and I already have a Tele Vue 0.8X Reducer/Flattner for 400-600mm Refractors.

what I really care about is:

1- details of the surface of the Sun when imaging (and viewing if possible)

2- 1500$, any more than that will have to be really worth it (I can't really say what worth it means, maybe a sharper/details/contrast of the surface of the sun?)

what I don't really care about:

1- a Full disk of the sun, I even think I'll cut the image to not get a full disk ?

2- waiting 10 minutes for heating the Quark or a couple of minutes to adjust it.

3- requirement of power for USB or any other stuff or cables

please help me out here.

Thanks guys ;)

8 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

For $1500 you could get a Quark and a dedicated mono camera which is what you need for Quark / solar imaging.

Dave

Thanks Dave.

So you think Quark and let's say ASI 178MM-Cool (mono) is the way to go? this is around 1850$. but if it's the best approach then why not.

also what if I get the Color version? is it worse? I know I need to post prosscess anyway but is it worse? I might use the Color version for DSO if it's better than a Sony A7RIII

3 minutes ago, David Smith said:

You want a mono camera for Solar imaging really but you don't need a cooled camera.

Thanks David. so this one maybe?

ASI174MM (mono)

I have both the ASI178MM and ASI174MM. The former works great for scopes working at F/10-F/12 or faster, due to its small pixel size, the latter is much more suited to F/25-F/30, which is where an F/7.5 scope and 4.2x telecentric lens are at (roughly). Unless you incorporate a 0.5x focal reducer, the ASI178MM is not as good as the ASI174MM. on a system with a quark. They do perform well on dedicated solar scopes, which are generally faster.

Archived