Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_galaxies_winners.thumb.jpg.92ab73c3699031e815897184054b8f7c.jpg

Grant

Forum Upgrade - 22nd May 2018

Hi all,

Sorry for the short period of downtime earlier today but I needed to upgrade the forum software to the latest version, as always if you notice anything not working correctly please let us know in the bugs forum.

The upgrade brings a number of changes, many to help make the forum compliant with the GDPR rules coming into force this week. Other changes to mention:

• Improved search system - this may take a few hours to index fully but should offer quicker and more accurate searches
  • Emoji - you can now use native emoji with a handy toolbar to find them
  • Gallery interface improvements

There are numerous other changes all designed to help improve usability and increase engagement across the forum :)

Cheers,

Grant

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

👏 thanks Grant!

Thanks for all your efforts Grant.

Dave

I nearly lost the will to live when i saw the website being down for upgrade. 

It's all good mate :)

By the way, what happened to the animated emojis? kind of like those as opposed to these new B&W ones

• Haha 1

Emoji central!!

SGL Challenge #14 - Make the longest, legible, sentence from emoji's only :thumbright:😀👨‍🚀

• Haha 1

The original emoticons are still there but there is also now emoji but how they are displayed will depend on the computer / machine you are using as Emoji are like fonts, they are installed on your computer / device and so display differently on different devices.

9 minutes ago, Grant said:

The original emoticons are still there but there is also now emoji but how they are displayed will depend on the computer / machine you are using as Emoji are like fonts, they are installed on your computer / device and so display differently on different devices.

Ah yes. Sorry i was so used to seeing the old emojis that my brain went completely blank.

Just tested @RayD emojis on my PC with Google Chrome, my iPhone and Android .. all three show different emoticons. 

Good work Grant.  I like the way a double click in search appears to show your search history.  Very helpful.

Thanks Grant. I assume the change includes both mobile/tablet & desktop. 

Would it be possible to have a breadcrumb trail at the bottom screen too please? Save scrolling to the top each time. 

Looks good. The only niggle is when I go to the "Unread content" page, the addition of the Newsletter button on the top rhs means there is now a blank column down the rhs of the page below it, which looks a bit odd

The emoji are doing my noggin in. Appearing in comments I write and inserted none. Appearing in the wrong place with no way to delete them. 

If you never see my lovely smile again then you know why. I'm on Android smartphone. 

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

Looks good. The only niggle is when I go to the "Unread content" page, the addition of the Newsletter button on the top rhs means there is now a blank column down the rhs of the page below it, which looks a bit odd

I’m not sure what you mean Jeremy? Can you take a screenshot - I don’t see any newsletter button?

2 minutes ago, Grant said:

I’m not sure what you mean Jeremy? Can you take a screenshot - I don’t see any newsletter button?

OK, so I have since clicked on the sign up for a newsletter icon on the top rhs of the unread SGL screen, thinking I would then be directed to a sign-up page to fill in my details. On clicking the icon, it disappeared (am I now signed? - not a problem, but not what I was expecting). The consequence of the icon disappearing is that the screen has gone back to how it looked originally: i.e. full width, no blank column on rhs and no Newsletter signup button with the envelop icon in rhs top corner). Curious.

Found it - we don't send newsletters so I've removed that widget (which only appeared if you hadn't already opted in to newsletters).

• Thanks 1

This just about sums up my feelings on the matter.. 😀

GDPR.jpg.17641074ab9a55484d88c0c392244372.jpg

• Like 1

I've just 'Googled' "Emoji" I had no idea what you were all talking about. Now I'm also in on the secret. ;)

Rich

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, RichM63 said:

I've just 'Googled' "Emoji" I had no idea what you were all talking about. Now I'm also in on the secret. ;)

Rich

:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

Dave

I mainly browse on my Android phone but I've never been able to view signatures. Not a big issue but a lot of folk put their current kit in there so it kind of leaves me guessing if I respond to a question or request for advice! Is this a forum restriction or an Android thing and can it be changed?

Good stuff Grant, appreciate the work you chaps do to give us reprobates somewhere to keep us off the streets 👍

Emoji is the new hip name for emoticons. I resisted using the word up til a few weeks ago.

♿

Cool. I just found an emoji of myself.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, johnfosteruk said:

And I just found one for me - 🤡

I like IT.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Grant said:

Found it - we don't send newsletters so I've removed that widget (which only appeared if you hadn't already opted in to newsletters).

Still here:

image.thumb.png.c7e29f4816975e552db1562a77d85f70.png

38 minutes ago, moise212 said:

Still here:

Strangely enough, although the Newsletter icon has gone for me (perhaps because I clicked it yesterday!), when I go to Unread items, the page still loads momentarily with the blank column down the rhs (no Newsletter icon, though), then re-adjusts itself to full width. A bit annoying on the yes, but not the end of the world. Would be better without - like it was before 😀

44 minutes ago, moise212 said:

Still here:

image.thumb.png.c7e29f4816975e552db1562a77d85f70.png

Can you try now?