Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Forum Upgrade - 22nd May 2018

Hi all,

Sorry for the short period of downtime earlier today but I needed to upgrade the forum software to the latest version, as always if you notice anything not working correctly please let us know in the bugs forum.

The upgrade brings a number of changes, many to help make the forum compliant with the GDPR rules coming into force this week. Other changes to mention:

• Improved search system - this may take a few hours to index fully but should offer quicker and more accurate searches
  • Emoji - you can now use native emoji with a handy toolbar to find them
  • Gallery interface improvements

There are numerous other changes all designed to help improve usability and increase engagement across the forum :)

Cheers,

Grant

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The original emoticons are still there but there is also now emoji but how they are displayed will depend on the computer / machine you are using as Emoji are like fonts, they are installed on your computer / device and so display differently on different devices.

9 minutes ago, Grant said:

The original emoticons are still there but there is also now emoji but how they are displayed will depend on the computer / machine you are using as Emoji are like fonts, they are installed on your computer / device and so display differently on different devices.

Ah yes. Sorry i was so used to seeing the old emojis that my brain went completely blank.

Just tested @RayD emojis on my PC with Google Chrome, my iPhone and Android .. all three show different emoticons. 

Thanks Grant. I assume the change includes both mobile/tablet & desktop. 

Would it be possible to have a breadcrumb trail at the bottom screen too please? Save scrolling to the top each time. 

Looks good. The only niggle is when I go to the "Unread content" page, the addition of the Newsletter button on the top rhs means there is now a blank column down the rhs of the page below it, which looks a bit odd

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

Looks good. The only niggle is when I go to the "Unread content" page, the addition of the Newsletter button on the top rhs means there is now a blank column down the rhs of the page below it, which looks a bit odd

I’m not sure what you mean Jeremy? Can you take a screenshot - I don’t see any newsletter button?

2 minutes ago, Grant said:

I’m not sure what you mean Jeremy? Can you take a screenshot - I don’t see any newsletter button?

OK, so I have since clicked on the sign up for a newsletter icon on the top rhs of the unread SGL screen, thinking I would then be directed to a sign-up page to fill in my details. On clicking the icon, it disappeared (am I now signed? - not a problem, but not what I was expecting). The consequence of the icon disappearing is that the screen has gone back to how it looked originally: i.e. full width, no blank column on rhs and no Newsletter signup button with the envelop icon in rhs top corner). Curious.

I mainly browse on my Android phone but I've never been able to view signatures. Not a big issue but a lot of folk put their current kit in there so it kind of leaves me guessing if I respond to a question or request for advice! Is this a forum restriction or an Android thing and can it be changed?

38 minutes ago, moise212 said:

Still here:

Strangely enough, although the Newsletter icon has gone for me (perhaps because I clicked it yesterday!), when I go to Unread items, the page still loads momentarily with the blank column down the rhs (no Newsletter icon, though), then re-adjusts itself to full width. A bit annoying on the yes, but not the end of the world. Would be better without - like it was before ?

Archived