Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

kingbo37

Eyepiece Beginner Advice

Hi everyone,

I was bought a telescope a few years ago, but recently really taking it out and really getting a lot of enjoyment, so I have gone and purchased a Celestron Omni XLT 150 Reflector. Only managed one clear night since then (and being off since I work nightshift) and I'm just looking for some general advice for improving my gear. Eyepiece wise I have the 25mm that came with it, and a cheap 10mm and 20mm that was with the previous scope.

I'd imagine purchasing new eyepieces would be a good start but there's so much out there that I don't know where to begin. Budget wise I wouldn't want to spend too much, but also don't want to purchase something just for the sake of it.

Thanks for any help

I've moved this post to the eyepiece section where it will hopefully get more attention.

I've left a link to it in the section it was originally posted in as well :smiley:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kingbo37 said:

Thanks, I kinda didn't know what I was posting until I had written it hence the wrong forum!

No problem - welcome to the forum ! :smiley:

You won't go far wrong with the BST Starguiders from our sponsor First Light Optics.  Priced at £49 each. 

And welcome to the forum. 

Ally

• Like 3

Greetings, kingbo37.

Your next purchase on eyepieces really depends on what are your intended observation targets. For planets, you needs on-axis sharpness, contrast, and brightness more than edge performance and field width. Thus, you could save some money by buying short focal length eyepieces of simpler designs (e.g. Abbe Ortho, Plossl, or even a Kellner). In fact, I strongly suggest you patiently wait for the best seeing (atmospheric condition) and try out your 10mm stock eyepiece, which I assume is 

If you don't mind the risk of disassembling it, darkening the lens edges should help enhancing the contrast which is essential in planetary viewing. On the other hand, a good 2x barlow is also a good investment for a short focal length telescope like yours.

If you want a wider field than your 25mm can give to hunt for deep sky objects and to do wide field scanning, then you can go for a 32mm Plossl which gives you a field of ~0.45 degrees wider without spending a lot. The edge performance (sharpness, distortion, etc.) from a Plossl won't be first-class as you have a fast f/5 objective mirror. To get a wider field than this, you will need to go for a 2" eyepiece (I believe your scope has a 2" focuser) and it will be much more expensive. One thing worth noting is as your Newtonian has a central obstruction from the secondary mirror, there is a limit on the longest focal length eyepiece you can use but I do not know how to calculate this.

Finally, enjoy your telescope and wishing you clear skies! 

I know that most of us have to stick to a budget, but don't skimp too much on quality, you get what you pay for... a bad choice and you will end up paying twice...

Personally first and for most I recommend the Televue eyepieces and barlows/power mates, but they are expensive... I also have LV (Lanthalum Vixens) and Celestron X-Cel and they are all great quality with a lower price for the last two.

The Celestron Ultima 2X barlow is very very good quality also.

For deep sky observation (and the moon/sun) I use the Ethos 17mm and the "Terminagler" 31mm type 5... nothing beats those... at least nothing I have seen so far.

1 hour ago, Ally8446 said:

You won't go far wrong with the BST Starguiders from our sponsor First Light Optics.  Priced at £49 each. 

And welcome to the forum. 

Ally

I agree with this. I've used and owned many, many eyepieces and my regular ones are by Tele Vue and Pentax but the BST Starguiders do a very decent job in my scopes including my 12" F/5.3 dobsonian. They are at least as good as the Celestron X-Cel LX's and a few others that are more expensive than the BST Starguiders. 

Another excellent quality range for £50 apiece are the Baader Classic Orthoscopics. The 10mm and 18mm from that range are really nice performers. Not wide field eyepieces but very sharp and contrasty. You have to spend a lot more to get any additional performance and even then, it's only a slight gain.

• Like 1

A zoom eyepiece can be very useful particularily when you’re not sure what focal length eyepieces you will end up using the most. Use the zoom and take note of what settings you use the most and then buy just two or three better quality eyepieces later on.

On 21/05/2018 at 23:00, Rocket_the_Raccoon said:

Greetings, kingbo37.

Your next purchase on eyepieces really depends on what are your intended observation targets. For planets, you needs on-axis sharpness, contrast, and brightness more than edge performance and field width. Thus, you could save some money by buying short focal length eyepieces of simpler designs (e.g. Abbe Ortho, Plossl, or even a Kellner). In fact, I strongly suggest you patiently wait for the best seeing (atmospheric condition) and try out your 10mm stock eyepiece, which I assume is 

If you don't mind the risk of disassembling it, darkening the lens edges should help enhancing the contrast which is essential in planetary viewing. On the other hand, a good 2x barlow is also a good investment for a short focal length telescope like yours.

If you want a wider field than your 25mm can give to hunt for deep sky objects and to do wide field scanning, then you can go for a 32mm Plossl which gives you a field of ~0.45 degrees wider without spending a lot. The edge performance (sharpness, distortion, etc.) from a Plossl won't be first-class as you have a fast f/5 objective mirror. To get a wider field than this, you will need to go for a 2" eyepiece (I believe your scope has a 2" focuser) and it will be much more expensive. One thing worth noting is as your Newtonian has a central obstruction from the secondary mirror, there is a limit on the longest focal length eyepiece you can use but I do not know how to calculate this.

Finally, enjoy your telescope and wishing you clear skies! 

Yes, it is those stock eyepieces I have, I will check out that link for sure. Initially I will stick to planetary, but obviously want to see some deep sky stuff too.

I had thought of spending a little more and getting a zoom lens, but wasn't sure how good they were across the ranges, and whether getting a few different lenses for a similar price would be better. I do like the idea of spending about £50 per lens at the moment as this is more in the range of what I'd be looking at.

16 hours ago, kingbo37 said:

I had thought of spending a little more and getting a zoom lens, but wasn't sure how good they were across the ranges,

The Skywatcher 8-24mm is pretty good according to 

http://astro-okulare.de/English/indexe.htm

I believe it is the same as the Celestron and Orion 8-24mm. It might even be under other brand names too. The drawback of course, as stated, is the narrow field of view at the 24mm end but you have a 25mm anyway. 

16 hours ago, kingbo37 said:

Initially I will stick to planetary, but obviously want to see some deep sky stuff too.

If you are into DIY and can obtain old compact binoculars at very low price (e.g. charity shops, items that collecting dusts at home, ...), you might want to consider making a 33mm eyepiece like what I did in:

Edited by Rocket_the_Raccoon
links problem