Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

12v timer with car socket or USB output

Hello

Does anyone know of a device I can plug into the 12v car socket of my power tank (leisure battery) which can be timer set, so I can power off my mount and other accessories whilst I am away? For instance, power for a few hours after starting, so I don't have to have the thing running all night and tiring itself into a knot with it's own cables.

I've no time for diy/hobbyist electronics or running any software or the like. Just a plug and play device like the readily available 240v plug in variety. 

Cheers

I had a look at Skipper Billy's link, and it looks as though it is a counter/timer, but does not have an ON/OFF switched output. A Google search with "12V Time Switch" resulted in several possibilities including:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SODIAL-Digital-Power-Programmable-Switch/dp/B00F4MG328/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_bs_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=RDTRRBPPGS647EGW4NJ5

Geoff

23 hours ago, Mick J said:

eBay search '12volt car timer' gives things like this (V3 12v), easy to chuck a cigar connector into the input and depending on load the relay may be up to it.  Hope this will do 'on' for 4hrs not just switch 'on' in 4hrs......  may be helpful.

Unless I'm mistaken, that's a delay timer and will also need a chassis to mount it in. So, no use to me.

23 hours ago, Geoff Lister said:

I had a look at Skipper Billy's link, and it looks as though it is a counter/timer, but does not have an ON/OFF switched output. A Google search with "12V Time Switch" resulted in several possibilities including:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SODIAL-Digital-Power-Programmable-Switch/dp/B00F4MG328/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_bs_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=RDTRRBPPGS647EGW4NJ5

Geoff

I've been looking at this very unit, tbh. Guess it will fit the bill with a 12v plug and socket connected at either end?

1 hour ago, 8472 said:

Unless I'm mistaken, that's a delay timer and will also need a chassis to mount it in. So, no use to me.

I think it will work both ways, but Skipper Billy's looks a better bet and I would go with that ?

12V timer.jpg

12 hours ago, 8472 said:

I've been looking at this very unit, tbh. Guess it will fit the bill with a 12v plug and socket connected at either end?

Yes. It is not obvious from the Amazon photo how to connect it to external wiring, but I would not expect to need a soldering iron.

To save extra work, it may be useful to buy a car cigarette lighter extension lead, cut it in the middle, and connect the cut ends to the time-switch. Make sure that the plug incorporates a small cartridge fuse, and double (quadruple) check polarity.

Geoff

Yes, my intention was exactly to cut an extension lead, just as you suggest.

Images of the same product on ebay show at least 4 connectors on the back, ideal for said lead.

Cheers,

Kev

• 1 month later...

Archived