SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Single or Dual axis drive

I was about to get a dual axis drive to add to a Sky-Watcher EQ3-2 mount but had not realised that a single drive for the RA was also available and of course it is a little cheaper. That made me think why would you want to drive the declination axis for naked eye observing? Can I save a few pounds here or is there any real advantage to the second axis? I would welcome any views, I do not intend to go full go-to or do any serious imaging.

Ian

Ian, if you set the polar alignment up accurately then in theory you just need the RA drive to keep tracking the target, and the DEC should stay reasonably ok.

I find it useful to have both axes driven, for a couple of reasons. Firstly, if your alignment is out then it is easy to correct the drift in DEC using the handset. Secondly I find it very handy to be able to pan around the surface of either the moon or sun when observing at higher powers.

So, you can save your money if that is the the most important factor, but if not then I do think driving both is worthwhile.

Thanks. Stu,

That sounds sensible, price was not a major consideration but I didn't want to get something I would have little use for. Having to set up every time I know I don't always get my polar axis set exactly or it shifts a bit, I've just got used to nudging it every once and a while.

Having the Dec drive motorised makes for precise,  wobble free fine aligning on your targets. You don't need to faff around in the dark looking for the Dec knob, the control is just there in your hand.  I'd definitely recommend getting the dual drives over the single drive :)

I've been going through a similar thought process re: adding drives to a currently undriven Vixen GP mount. My conclusion based on previous experience of my own and some excellent feedback from members of this forum, is to go for dual drives. The DEC drive won't get as much use as the RA one but it's really quite a nice, "nice to have" and does not add a lot to the cost.

Also, if you go for a dual drive setup and don't use the DEC one, or even don't fit it, thats fine but you can't add a DEC drive later to a single axis controller - you need to replace the controller.

On 5/19/2018 at 16:17, Stu said:

Ian, if you set the polar alignment up accurately then in theory you just need the RA drive to keep tracking the target, and the DEC should stay reasonably ok.

I find it useful to have both axes driven, for a couple of reasons. Firstly, if your alignment is out then it is easy to correct the drift in DEC using the handset. Secondly I find it very handy to be able to pan around the surface of either the moon or sun when observing at higher powers.

So, you can save your money if that is the the most important factor, but if not then I do think driving both is worthwhile.

The perfect answer.

Olly

Archived