stargazine_ep39_banner.thumb.jpg.b87bddaa2aded94d2a3456c0589a82b9.jpg

Also known as the Theta Carinae Cluster, The Southen Pleiades is a very bright open cluster in the Carina constellation. It was discovered by Abbe Lacaille during his visit to South Africa in 1752.  Containing around 60 stars, IC 2602 shines with an overall magnitude of 1.9 and its brightest member is Theta Carinae with a visual magnitude of 2.7. This cluster of young blue stars is relatively close to us at "only" 479 light years.

5 May 2018

092858EC-AC16-48D8-A4B1-7F8FCBB62F1D.thumb.jpeg.6ec49d38665e5f0ae0344e4ba555bce5.jpeg

The Southern Pleiades open star cluster ( IC 2602 ) in Carina ( please click / tap on image to see larger and sharper )

Image details can be found here.

• Like 3
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By alexbb
      This is another finished target for this season.
      I (quite) recently bought a TS Photoline 102 ED with FPL53 which performs surprisingly well for a doublet. So I put it to tests and imaging, in parallel with an older FPL51 AstroProfessional 102 ED doublet.
      The blue color correction is much better in the newer TS. I shoot luminance often with both and then take the highlights from the better scope.
      For this image I also used some older data that I had available, shot with a 130PDS, but that maybe only made my life more difficult. Not that otherwise I shot data through the refractors in a single panel with reducers/correctors, but also in 2 panels with no reducing correctors. Same about the RGB. Some shorter exposures from the backyard, some from a dark site, most of the G data from a dark site, B and R from home (clouds came in at the dark site) and a lot of other adventures.
      But in the end I managed to put them all together and made an image out of them.
      You can watch it in full resolution and see other details on astrobin: Great Orion Nebula
      Clear skies!
      Alex

• By KevinPSJ
      M45 Pleiades. 12min 30s total exposure (45s subs, unguided). ISO 100 at F/5 using Nikon D3200 at primefocus on skywatcher 150P. Taken around moonrise (1 day after full) on Feb 28, 2021.  Stacked with darks and flats in Siril and then processed in Startools.
    • By Lotinsh
      Hello, my budget is around 150/160 EUR, I was wondering what telescope should I buy? I need some suggestions as all I know is that bigger is better. I am currently looking at StarRider 80F400EQ, is it any good? Also I'm from Europe if that's relevant.
    • By Daniel Valencia
      Hi Guys!
      My name is Daniel and I am from Ecuador, I love astronomy and the secrets our universe holds. I love Jupiter, our big brother, so I opened this forum to talk about facts, secrets, theories, etc. About our gas giant!
    • By guydive
      Hey all,
      I'm considering the 250PDS. The main use is visual, and the second is EAA (I currently use a zwo183mm). 
      What I'm hesitant about is the primary focus. since It's mostly for visual, I'm wondering on how much back focus it has compared to the standard Skywatcher 10" dobsonians? with the standard dobsonias with the same optics and focuser you already need an extension tube for most eyepieces...
      Also, there's probably a "bigger" obstruction (bigger shadow on primary)? 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.