Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Also known as the Theta Carinae Cluster, The Southen Pleiades is a very bright open cluster in the Carina constellation. It was discovered by Abbe Lacaille during his visit to South Africa in 1752.  Containing around 60 stars, IC 2602 shines with an overall magnitude of 1.9 and its brightest member is Theta Carinae with a visual magnitude of 2.7. This cluster of young blue stars is relatively close to us at "only" 479 light years.

5 May 2018

092858EC-AC16-48D8-A4B1-7F8FCBB62F1D.thumb.jpeg.6ec49d38665e5f0ae0344e4ba555bce5.jpeg

The Southern Pleiades open star cluster ( IC 2602 ) in Carina ( please click / tap on image to see larger and sharper )

Image details can be found here.

• Like 3

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Armaan Sandhu
      I have been trying to see Jupiter for a while now, but all I am seeing is a whitish blob with a tinge of yellow and blue at the ends. 
      I have tried several filters, but to no avail. 
      I am using an Astromaster 130eq, Celestron with magnifications ranging from 20mm to a 6mm plus a 2X Barlow lens. 
      many suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 
      regards, Armaan. 

• By astrosathya
      Friends, I am back with a tutorial video on how to modify your Sky Watcher HEQ5-PRO mount or its American twin, the Orion Sirius EQ-G into a belt driven mount.
      The benefits of converting to a belt drive is that you don't have to worry about Backlash. The procedure took me about an hour to complete.
      Link is below
      https://youtu.be/PjDZiXaN5KM
    • By Blackware
      I just got into observing and would love to be able to take a picture of what I'm seeing. I got an old Nikon D60 from 2012? laying here still working perfectly with multiple lenses. I did some research and found I should buy some kind of T-ring as an adapter between the telescope and camera. Is this the only thing I need to take an image ? 
      Thanks in advance!
    • By adamgyenge
      Helios 8" Newtonian telescope OTA. Equivalent with Skywatcher Explorer 200P.
      Has some cosmetic markings, but otherwise in excellent condition.
      Included:
      - 1.25" and 2" eyepiece adapters
      - 9x50 finderscope
      - long Vixen style dovetail
      Price: £130 (negotiable)

Celestron Astromaster Kit is available for £20 extra
      Mount not included.
      Pick up only in Oxford.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.