SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Some Fuzzy Stuff For A Change

Because of local LP, I tend to go for clusters and doubles, but since it was dark, clear, still, and mild, I set up the 8SE at 1.50am and tried to use the brief window of darkness to target other things.  Aligned on Alkaid and Arcturus.  The first few attempts produced no results.  I then went for another new one to me, NGC 4449, an irregular galaxy in CVn, and Bingo, there it was in the middle of the base of a triangle of stars - just a fuzzy patch x56, then showing some N-S elongation x85, clearer x113, less so x145.

Then a re-visit: M51 the Whirlpool Galaxy (face-on spiral, CVn), plus companion NGC 5195 - a fuzzy patch, elongated up to N-W, with two bright foci - clearest x85.  But although I exercised patience, tapping, and AV, there was sadly no hint of structure to it.

By 3.10am, the "window" was closing as the sky grew lighter.  And bands of thin cloud appeared.  I swung round to Cygnus, centring on Sadr.  Some of the emission nebula IC 1318 in that region was evident immediately around Sadr.  This was enhanced with the UHC filter.

Finished at 3.40am with a quick look at Saturn at about 13deg in the south.

Another enjoyable, and somewhat different session!

Doug.

2 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

Nice report Doug. Not really been looking for faint DSO’s lately so nice to know you can still see some of them up there. :) 

Thanks Gus.  Ironic that when they are best placed, the lack of darkness is most pronounced!

Doug.

Nice report Doug especially fighting light pollution. Some great detail. 

Dark skies will reveal a lot more with these targets and if you get the chance revisit them. 

Archived