Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

IC410 Narrowband Ha Oiii DSLR 1000d (Tadpoles)

tooth_dr

I've taken another look at my data: Ha = 15 x 600s + Oiii = 6 x 900s

Processed using Cannistra Bicolour technique with an Luminance layer of Ha!

I've attached the Ha and Oiii stacked files to show what I was working with, and the best I can muster using PS.

Thanks for looking.

IC410-ha-stack.jpg

IC410-oiii-stack.jpg

IC410-bicolour-WIP.jpg

15 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

I've taken another look at my data: Ha = 15 x 600s + Oiii = 6 x 900s

Processed using Cannistra Bicolour technique with an Luminance layer of Ha!

I've attached the Ha and Oiii stacked files to show what I was working with, and the best I can muster using PS.

Thanks for looking.

IC410-ha-stack.jpg

IC410-oiii-stack.jpg

IC410-bicolour-WIP.jpg

Love those colours Adam. Nice and moody!

I see you had tracking issues with the OIII subs. The good thing about this workflow is you can still salvage the data by removing the stars :icon_biggrin: 

Have you tried giving the Ha data a bit more of a stretch? At a guess I would say you have enough data to tease a bit more out of it.

4 minutes ago, Xiga said:

Love those colours Adam. Nice and moody!

I see you had tracking issues with the OIII subs. The good thing about this workflow is you can still salvage the data by removing the stars :icon_biggrin: 

Have you tried giving the Ha data a bit more of a stretch? At a guess I would say you have enough data to tease a bit more out of it.

Thanks Ciaran.  I dont know how far to stretch the tone maps, have you any tips?  In terms of the luminance layer, I could probably stretch it more too!  It looks very dark on my work monitor now that I see it.

32 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Thanks Ciaran.  I dont know how far to stretch the tone maps, have you any tips?  In terms of the luminance layer, I could probably stretch it more too!  It looks very dark on my work monitor now that I see it.

Exactly how much is hard to say Adam, it just sort of comes with experience. It’s just a case of stretching the data up to a point where the maximum amount of nebulosity can be seen but without accentuating the background noise too much. As a rough guide, with the sky background sitting at around 25 for R,G, and B in the info panel in PS, you should be seeing some noise in the sky background (this is DSLR NB data after all). You don’t want there to be too much, just enough that can easily be dealt with using some NR, but if you’re not seeing any at all it means you’ve either clipped the black point or you’re probably just not pushing your data far enough and there’s more signal in there that you can pull out.
Hope that helps

6 minutes ago, Xiga said:

Exactly how much is hard to say Adam, it just sort of comes with experience. It’s just a case of stretching the data up to a point where the maximum amount of nebulosity can be seen but without accentuating the background noise too much. As a rough guide, with the sky background sitting at around 25 for R,G, and B in the info panel in PS, you should be seeing some noise in the sky background (this is DSLR NB data after all). You don’t want there to be too much, just enough that can easily be dealt with using some NR, but if you’re not seeing any at all it means you’ve either clipped the black point or you’re probably just not pushing your data far enough and there’s more signal in there that you can pull out.
Hope that helps

Thanks Ciaran, I mean in terms of the greyscale data Ha Oiii, do you get figures for brightness(no RGB pixel values are available)

41 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Thanks Ciaran, I mean in terms of the greyscale data Ha Oiii, do you get figures for brightness(no RGB pixel values are available)

I usually just gauge the Ha stretch visually myself, and stop when I think there's enough nebulosity but not too much noise. I then temporarily convert it to RGB just to see what the Mean value is in the info panel.

I then stretch the OIII to try and get it's Mean value somewhere in the same ballpark.

1 minute ago, Xiga said:

I usually just gauge the Ha stretch visually myself, and stop when I think there's enough nebulosity but not too much noise. I then temporarily convert it to RGB just to see what the Mean value is in the info panel.

I then stretch the OIII to try and get it's Mean value somewhere in the same ballpark.

Very helpful Ciaran.  Thanks.

29 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

Another nice one Adam. You're liking this narrowband business?

Thanks Richard. Yes I really do like the whole concept, filters etc.  Im getting to grips with my equipment, so an inevitable upgrade is looming in the future to a cooled camera. 

15 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Thanks Richard. Yes I really do like the whole concept, filters etc.  Im getting to grips with my equipment, so an inevitable upgrade is looming in the future to a cooled camera. 

And what a difference a cooled cam will make. Only problem is you'll need two for dual rig.:cya:

Archived