Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

First time in a long time I have been out with the camera and telescope. The bad weather has just always lined up with my nights off of work. And boy have we had a lot of bad weather over the winter..
So I thought I would return to a favorite of mine, and one I tried imaging last year too. 

Unfortunately, the "astronimically dark nights" are already done for this part of the year, so I could only squeeze a few hours in of imaging over the two nights I did this, the get the darkest of them, and had some telescope issues the second night, so I had to scrap 1/3 of the images.
The first night I also forgot to take dark frames, so I just applied the ones that I took the second night to those, which worked out great too.

Messier 64 (The Black Eye Galaxy)
Skywatcher 150PDS
Celestron AVX Mount
Nikon D5200
Baader 2'' Neodymium filter (haven't tested the actual difference this one actually makes).
Explore Scientific Coma Corrector
ISO 800
26 subs, 8 mins
3 hours, 28 min total (over 2 nights as it only gets nautical dark here)
Manually stacked and processed in Photoshop CS2
Dark frames used, but only 6 of them.

I've used a LOT of time, doing countless iterations of processing on this one, especially on the color/balance and trying to keep both galaxy detail and star color, so any advice or comment on it, would be very much appreciated.
But considering how bright the sky was, even during the darkest part of the night, I am quite happy with the amount of detail I could pull out. I'll have to return to it next year, during the dark nights :) 

large.Black-Eye-Galaxy-15-Crop6.png.b224

Edited by The-MathMog
  • Like 11

Good JOB!!  Lots of detail the galaxy, the dark dusty area nicely captured and processed!  The background might be 'slightly' blue on my monitor, but it doesn't take away from a great image.

• Thanks 1

Just now, tooth_dr said:

Good JOB!!  Lots of detail the galaxy, the dark dusty area nicely captured and processed!  The background might be 'slightly' blue on my monitor, but it doesn't take away from a great image.

Thank you very much. I have really put a lot of time into the processing of it, more than I probably could've, so that is very nice to hear!

I'll have a look at that. As that has been one of the hardest things for me. The background looked too red, then I changed it, and then it looked too blue, reiteratted again, and then it looked too green! :D haha

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The-MathMog said:

Thank you very much. I have really put a lot of time into the processing of it, more than I probably could've, so that is very nice to hear!

I'll have a look at that. As that has been one of the hardest things for me. The background looked too red, then I changed it, and then it looked too blue, reiteratted again, and then it looked too green! :D haha

I know that feeling! In fact I just looked at it on a different screen and it looks 100%!

16 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I know that feeling! In fact I just looked at it on a different screen and it looks 100%!

Still your first assessment was correct I think. Had a look at the histogram, and blue was pushing ever so slightly. But yeah, I just recently got a stationary pc, with a 1440p monitor, and a lot of the projects that I'd done earlier, doesn't look as good as I once thought they did :D
Just recently I even finished the processing of an image, only to figure out that the monitor's "Blue Light Filter" was on! :D

• Haha 1