Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter at Opposition 2018 v2.0

orion25

Here is another short video of Jupiter, this time with my new StarShoot 5MP Solar System Camera a few days after opposition, with the GRS visible! The video includes shots from two separate imaging sessions a couple of days apart with two different scopes (the 180mm and the 127mm Maks). The GRS is in a slightly different position each time. Each session took place shortly after midnight, the air still, transparency and seeing fairly good. I could hear hoot owls in the distance. Otherwise, all was quiet as the world was sleeping. I felt like I had the entire sky to myself. Just me and my toys :) You'll see the live video first followed by the stacked image in Registax 6. Enjoy!

Cheers!

Reggie:icescream:

34 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

Cool.. did you stack the frames to see what details you can extract?

Thanks, Mars. Yes, the images are included in the video as well after the video streams. Here are the stacked images:

From the 180mm Mak video

5afcb20d40149_ASTRONOMY-JUPITERGRS(5MPCAM)REGISTAX5-11-18.thumb.jpg.771b18c112a35f7ffcf71138cf8a760c.jpg

From the 127mm Mak video

5afcb2b9eb0b4_ASTRONOMY-JUPITERGRS(5MPCAM)LILMAKBARLOWTRACKEDREGISTAX5-12-18SM.thumb.jpg.70976dfee9ea87a691d499ef55fb318b.jpg

They came out pretty nice, and I'm looking forward to what I can get with Saturn and Mars!

32 minutes ago, orion25 said:

Thanks, Mars. Yes, the images are included in the video as well after the video streams. Here are the stacked images:

From the 180mm Mak video

5afcb20d40149_ASTRONOMY-JUPITERGRS(5MPCAM)REGISTAX5-11-18.thumb.jpg.771b18c112a35f7ffcf71138cf8a760c.jpg

From the 127mm Mak video

5afcb2b9eb0b4_ASTRONOMY-JUPITERGRS(5MPCAM)LILMAKBARLOWTRACKEDREGISTAX5-12-18SM.thumb.jpg.70976dfee9ea87a691d499ef55fb318b.jpg

They came out pretty nice, and I'm looking forward to what I can get with Saturn and Mars!

Hopefully the weather is clear within days of the mars opposition... I don't think I'll be around to see the next opposition this close.

28 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

Hopefully the weather is clear within days of the mars opposition... I don't think I'll be around to see the next opposition this close.

I'm going to start seriously observing and imaging a few weeks before and after the opposition. I'm banking on some really good nights between late June and early August.

1 hour ago, orion25 said:

I'm going to start seriously observing and imaging a few weeks before and after the opposition. I'm banking on some really good nights between late June and early August.

Surely we'll have atleast one good still night

Archived