Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Back to basics

Fusion

After having a scope for quite some time, I found myself loosing interest, not with astronomy in general, but with using the scope, setting up, moving to another site setting up again. Somewhere along the way some of the enjoyment had gone. So after some thought on the matter rather than upgrade my scope, I though about how I started the hobby with nothing more than a pair of binoculars and a half decent compact camera with a good amount of manual settings, I enjoyed everyone of those nights when I thought about it. So I sold my scope, bought myself some Olympus 10x50's, got a couple of new cameras, a Sony HX90 which goes every where with me (and is actually a very good camera I have sold a couple of prints taken with it) and a reasonable SLR with a couple of lenses and a couple of tripods. Not only has my enjoyment returned when it comes to stargazing but my bird/wildlife watching and photography have also become more gratifying as it used to be.

There is no one size fits all with astronomy, the best equipment is the equipment you use. For me taking the back to basics approach worked I am once again a happy stargazer.

that's very true. The equipment you use the most is the best for you. I was very tempted to get a big scope to start off with but so many people said the same thing, that's why I went for a small grab and go set up. I've also got a pair of Olympus 10x50s and when I've got an excuse not to use the scope I grab the bins.

can i ask, are you using the cameras for long exposures on a motor or just shoot and snap?

13 minutes ago, mark81 said:

can i ask, are you using the cameras for long exposures on a motor or just shoot and snap?

My Sony HX I use everywhere just if I see something interesting, mainly birds, insects, flowers, grasses. I don't use a motor with the DSLR but I take some good night shots with it, but recently I have taken to doing light painting photography. The Sony has a lot of manual control also, plus with the money I saved from not upgrading my scope will pay for a few nice weekends away.

Good to hear that you have reawakened your enthusiasm.  Lets face it, most of us got into astronomy by just being outside on a really dark night and having that sense of awe at the sheer vastness of the universe above.

Enjoy your new lease.

John

1 hour ago, Fusion said:

the best equipment is the equipment you use

Very true words... the setting up procedure, especially for imaging, was starting to be a chore to me also, that why I built a permanent setup.

Nice write-up. You really cant beat being outside with a pair of bins taking a wander around the night sky. Its so relaxing and enjoyable. I started out over 30 yrs ago with bins and i've owned a few pairs over the yrs.

I havent done any telescope observing in the last year and a half due to life's amusement at throwing you a curve ball every now and then. I do go outside with my bins quite often and just have a wander around. I may not even use my 20x90 bins cuz then i have to take my tripod out. Give me a pair of 10x50 and i am a happy chappy.

Well done to you for standing back and assessing your situation and taking positive measures to rectify it.

Archived