Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_galaxies_winners.thumb.jpg.92ab73c3699031e815897184054b8f7c.jpg

gonzostar

How to focus a camera thats not a DSLR

I have a feeling that my Canon 450d is on its way out. The socket that connect the lead from camera to laptop doesnt get recognised. However different Camera same lead and loptop works fine! So i know its my camera

Anyway step by step research for me, and lets start with a silly question. How do you  focus a astro-camera , and what software do you use?

Cheers

Dean 

I use FireCapture for my ASI cameras, usually combined with a bahtinov mask (I use APT with my DSLR). BTW, you may try to clean the socket carefully, e.g. with a soft plastick toothpick. I have restored proper service to my smartphone's USB connector that way several times.

• Like 1

APT is good! It works with Canon dslrs and ccd cameras with ascom drivers. It has useful focus aids and supports ascom autofocussers.

Louise

• Like 1

I use APT Bahtinov Aid for CANON and SharpCap Bachtinov Focusing Aid for ZWO (even if SharpCap tutorial states MultiStar aid is better, plus it has no use with Barlow...).

I have not found any Focusing Aids on FireCapture, so I focus on SharpCap to focus ZWO and switch back to FireCapture for Planetary AP.

• Like 1

Fantastic all,very useful information and advice as always.

Will give toothpick a chance and see what happens. I have had my Canon 450d for over two years now, and feel the need to take the plunge. My other concerns are set up times compared to DSLR and processing afterwards.

Do i need to use ascom drivers for ccd cameras? At the moment i am using a ST-4 cable. 

Dean

Posted (edited)

The last thing I would be concerned is drivers :)

All CCD cams will have USB and all relevant drivers or Software you need for capture, you should not worry about it. 
You will need different drivers or even ASCOM if you will decide to use 3rd party software, or if you will want the Cam to Interact with the Mount.

For example, - plate solve option from any Cam software will transmit target coordinates to your mount (in other words - will synchronise and show the exact Mount position on the Sky map ) and you will need ASCOM platform and ASCOM Drivers for your Mount, plus Sky map software like  Cartes du Ciel or Stellarium. 
I can be wrong, as I never had AVX mount, - Skywatchers only.

Edited by RolandKol
  • Like 1

Thankyou thats very useful feedback. I feel need to do a bit more research before i commit