SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Daystar Quark

Becoming a Daystar Solar Filters stockist has been on FLO’s todo list for a long time, particularly after they released their Daystar Quark. But opinions posted here at SGL suggested there were some teething troubles so we decided to wait. Looking now at comments they appear to be favourable and the results from Daystar Quarks are astounding! 

Daystar has sent us everything we need to begin retailing their products. 

What are your thoughts please?

What’s hot and what’s not in the world of Quark? ?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Quarks are fantastic, I believe most of the comments were due to too higher expectations. 

The initial customer experience was tainted by slow response times. However, I believe this has also been rectified. 

Shaun.

@xtreemchaos speaks very highly of them and he has some great photos of proms and spots to make us PST users very envious.

If FLO, with their excellent track record of service,  can offer a guarantee  of repair or return for any 'problem' units, ie.  dealing directly with the importers / Daystar  without any delays of 6 months etc..etc.... then I would be very tempted to purchase.

Sean.

( on the subject......   Do Quarks have a user 'life-time' ??  or will they keep producing results as long as the electronics is operational ??)

Oh yes Charl posts some superb images.  I don't think the results from a good one, or from someone who knows how to use them, is arguable.  I've considered one myself for use in Spain, and if FLO starts selling them that would almost certainly seal the deal for me.

I'd love one but the exchange rate has made them very expensive over the last couple of years. Also, how much use will it be over the next 2-3 years between cycle 24 and 25. What sort of thing can it show you?

I've read the coatings do have a relatively short life time (5 years?) and refurbs are a big chunk of the original cost. This stops me buying second hand and means a low resale value if I get a new one.

Is this true/fair?

I have one, but not new - it was bought from a member on here and as far as I can tell it works ok, but I haven't used it enough to know otherwise.

It's always good to have more options, so if the demand is there, then why not?

3 hours ago, RayD said:

Oh yes Charl posts some superb images.  I don't think the results from a good one, or from someone who knows how to use them, is arguable.  I've considered one myself for use in Spain, and if FLO starts selling them that would almost certainly seal the deal for me.

My thoughts exactly.  IIRC Pete Lawrence reviewed one of them in Sky at Night magazine not too long ago.

Great review, don't think that could be clearer.  I had a very brief look through @Davey-T 's one at Cairds, and in only a really short time with lots of cloud, you could see the potential.

Oh well, best start looking down the back of the sofa for lost money :icon_biggrin:

I got a new one (Chromosphere) from America back in Jan/Feb. Unfortunately life and the weather (and position of the Sun low down) hasnt allowed me to use it yet.

I was going to wait til about now before buying but i am a "see something,like it,must have it now" person.

Cant wait to see the price. I bet i will kick myself for not waiting.

5 year warranty

I dont know why i had it in my head that it was a lifetime warranty.

As Ray said I bought one of the originals which worked superbly for a couple of years until it developed a fault it was then a bit of a nightmare getting it fixed, it was returned with a different fault, sent back to Daystar and returned then replaced with a new one which was nowhere near as good as my original but was according to Daystar OK so I'm stuck with it.

The main problem was / is the very variable quality of the product as all the etalons are mass produced then sorted to a cut off point which appears to vary according to demand ( just my opinion not a fact ) perhaps now the hype of the USA Solar eclipse is over they may produce a more consistent product.

The problems were so bad that one importer started testing them before sale and returning those considered not to be up to spec, this caused ructions and a parting of the ways as well as other retailers stopping stocking them because of ongoing problems.

Whether these problems have been fixed I've no idea, all that was needed was a raising and tightening of the quality control which meant rejecting more etalons at source. the etalon design is different to that of things like the Lunt being constructed of mica I believe so much like silicon chips quite a few end up in the bin after testing.

Frankly if Daystar can guarantee the quality in writing I'd be happy to buy a new one from FLO as the one I have which passed Daystar QC is pretty pants.

Dave

Davey has highlighted the crux of it: quality control. It certainly appears that Daystar were inundated with orders in the run-up to the solar eclipse and, in trying to meet demand, let the QC slip. The train crash of customer relations and general PR that followed left a sour taste in many mouths - both of consumer and retailer.

The product is a winner and if consistent reliability has been brought/returned to the production line then it ought to be a good retail line.

6 hours ago, Craney said:

If FLO, with their excellent track record of service,  can offer a guarantee  of repair or return for any 'problem' units, ie.  dealing directly with the importers / Daystar  without any delays of 6 months etc..etc.... then I would be very tempted to purchase.

Given that the previously reported problems with customer service were caused by Daystar I’m not entirely sure we can expect a retailer to give that guarantee. 

I had a problem with my Quark, which was rectified efficiently by both the retailer and Daystar and is detailed in a thread here on SGL. 

I think these filters are great and are relatively inexpensive compared to a dedicated Ha scope that would give compatible results. 

I've read so many reviews of faulty Quarks that I gave up on the idea. I know the good ones are good - that's not at issue - but I find sending bad stuff back a real pain. I would consider (in fact will consider) buying one from FLO. (If they'll have me! :eek:)

Olly

6 hours ago, eekeek said:

I'd love one but the exchange rate has made them very expensive over the last couple of years. Also, how much use will it be over the next 2-3 years between cycle 24 and 25. What sort of thing can it show you?

I've read the coatings do have a relatively short life time (5 years?) and refurbs are a big chunk of the original cost. This stops me buying second hand and means a low resale value if I get a new one.

Is this true/fair?

There is still plenty to see and image in Ha through a solar minimum just not so many spots.  The Sun in Ha looks different every day, thats its appeal as well as allowing astronomical activity for us in the summer months.  I bought second hand (less than year old) but made sure I had the original receipt.  Fortunately it seems to be a 'good' one.

21 minutes ago, rockystar said:

Couple of years old now.  Be interesting to see if FLO get anywhere the £800 quoted in the article, last time I looked they were over a grand 

Scary how pretty much everything has gone up the last couple of years, more than inflation and without correlating pay rises in many sectors. One thing for sure though, FLO will offer the best prices that they are able to.

I am very interested in this product and many times I nearly bought one either new or s/h. It is an expensive piece of kit, but certainly more affordable than a dedicated Lunt telescope. For me, inconsistent quality control has been the major obstacle which every time stopped me from buying it. 

As a customer I'd be really happy to get one from FLO. Said this, as far as I can see, the problem here is not FLO, which I am sure will provide an excellent customer service every time a buyer receives a faulty unit, but the product itself. Although sad, it can happen to buy a defective or damaged item once in a while. However, I do not find acceptable that some members repeatedly received faulty units before getting a functional one. Therefore, I am one of those who will happily wait for a new version or an update of the quality control process for this product. Of course, this can be a long wait. 

Archived