sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_3.thumb.jpg.30e9b298c34c80517e8b443ce153fce3.jpg

The Jewel Box ( NGC 4755 ) is an open cluster of mostly hot young blue-white stars that appears to the unaided eye as a bright 4th magnitude star close to the Southern Cross. Only visible from southern latitudes, the Jewel Box was first recorded by Nicolas Louis de Lacaille during his visit to South Africa in 1751 and was later described by Sir John Herschel as "a casket of variously coloured precious stones" - hence the name "Jewel Box".

41290854-2419-46FF-B83B-6995F67B6146.thumb.jpeg.ccd5fdc80518b3e39fae9aba2378819f.jpeg

The Jewel Box open star cluster ( ngc 4755 ) in Curx  ( please click / tap on image to see larger and sharper )

Please see here for image details.

• Like 2

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MarsG76
      NGC 6334, an emission nebula and star-forming region located in the constellation Scorpius, also known as the Cat's Paw Nebula, Bear Claw Nebula or Gum 64. The nebula lies at an estimated distance of about 4,350 light-years from Earth.
      This image was taken from my backyard in Bortle 4-5 skies through a 80mm refractor at F6.25 (500mm focal length) with a QHY268M camera through 7nm H-Alpha, SII and OIII narrowband filters.
      Total exposure time was 18 hours and 15 minutes. Subs captured were HII: 15x600s OIII: 21x1200s and SII: 15x1800s @ HGC:62 on multiple nights between 31st May & 11 June 2021.
    • By thomehm
      I am planning to order a custom build 10" F/4 Newtonian from teleskop-express.de (ONTC1010).  I have a Losmandy G11G mount.  I intend to use this setup for Astrophotography.  My current question is about mounting the OTA to the Losmandy mount.  It seems that I have 2 options.  I can have Teleskop Express mount a Losmandy Dovetail on the carbon fiber tube (they say they will add carbon fiber reinforcement to make this very solid), and then mount to the Losmandy mount using the Dovetail attachment.  OR I can use rings purchased from Teleskop Express (TSCR300) to mount the OTA to the Losmandy mount.  I would like some opinions as to which way would be the more solid setup?
      Please Advise,
      Dana

• By Aneko1991
      Hi, I want a telescope and my budget is between 370$ -740$(I want something with a zoom as good as it s possible for this budget). Can you help me to chose one ?
      (buy in the EU)
    • By Humb1e
      Hiya,
      I'm looking a bit of advice / opinions on a telescopes for a beginner, but useful, telescope. 

I've gone through tonnes websites and now seem to find my self going round in circles.......
      I've read that an 8inch dobsonian type will do pretty much everything I want without breaking the bank too much / me outgrowing it very quickly. 
      Main issue is that I'd like to be able to take imagery, whether thats with phone or camera to start I don't know. I understand tracking can be easier with something motorised rather than by hand..... 
      Budget wise, I don't want to spend a small fortune, or, get something I'll need to replace too soon. I'm based South in Manchester, UK, not sure if that has any bearing on choices. 
      It probably needs to be something with low maintenance requirements too. 
      My budget is low at around £300...... Not my decision on this one 😂

Cheers in advance 
    • By MarsG76
      There was a (near) total lunar eclipse last week and I happened to be lucky enough to be on the right side of the planet to see it in it's entirety....
      These images were taken with a stock Canon 7D DSLR attached to my 14" Skywatcher GOTO Dobsonian and I had my 8" SCT setup to observe it along with the binoculars... what a fantastic night.
      I'll tell you that the eclipsed moon viewed through the C8 with the TV 31mm Nagler Type 5 eyepiece is a amazing sight... the full disc of the rusty moon, some stars sprinkled around it and witnessing a star being occulted by the red moon was something else.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.