Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Horizontal banding on Canon 550d

Hello all

Hello all

Just wanted to ask if this has happened to any of you before and what did you do about it I have noticed that for the last couple of sessions I have been having horizontal banding  on my pictures. Could this be a cable issue or is it because the temperatures are warmer?  Any ideas?

Thanks

Gerry

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Can you post an example?

Here is the processed file I'll have to get on the laptop to get a unprocessed one I tried with those tools but I managed to mostly get rid of them by curves. I hope it's not to carry on. I'm using a small 4 port USB hub so next time I'm going to try without it. Trying to eliminate things. 

M106.thumb.jpg.cf777c856a0903ceb67c09964630b011.jpg

Hi Gerry,  I've recently started suffering from banding with my Canon 550d. In my case this manifests itself as two parallel darker horizontal lines, each a number of pixels wide annoyingly just below the centre of each image.

After initially not finding much about this on the web, and assuming it was a sensor fault and that I'd need to replace the camera, I discovered that 'Canon banding' is not uncommon. I also discovered a fix - a free program called Fitswork4 that amongst many other useful functions can process the FITS output from DSS and remove the banding; the function to do this is Processing, Background Flatten, Lines to Equal Values. I use the default parameters and it removes the banding without seeming to do much (if any) harm to the rest of the image.

Hope this works for you.

12 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

You did a good job, I can barely see the lines. This is after Noel's horizontal banding noise reduction:

image.png.225705b229ca1a51c68b9aa5103b8e2f.png

The banding reduction did help but some fancy curves did it in the end. I'll be trying different cables and such and ill post the results if I can find any solutions 

18 hours ago, prusling said:

Hi Gerry,  I've recently started suffering from banding with my Canon 550d. In my case this manifests itself as two parallel darker horizontal lines, each a number of pixels wide annoyingly just below the centre of each image.

After initially not finding much about this on the web, and assuming it was a sensor fault and that I'd need to replace the camera, I discovered that 'Canon banding' is not uncommon. I also discovered a fix - a free program called Fitswork4 that amongst many other useful functions can process the FITS output from DSS and remove the banding; the function to do this is Processing, Background Flatten, Lines to Equal Values. I use the default parameters and it removes the banding without seeming to do much (if any) harm to the rest of the image.

Hope this works for you.

Yes mine is very similar. Quite dark lines. I'll try the solution you said. I'm still hoping it's not something permanent. 

When you click on the function it applies the default parameters then displays the parameters in case you wish to make changes. I just save the modified file at that point. Hope it works for you.

I can't see any banding in the above images.

I haven't done much DSLR imaging for a few years now, but when I was, I recall being told to remove the SD card from the camera if you are downloading directly to the PC as something electronic happens in the download causing the bands to appear when stretched. 

I subsequently removed the card and seemed to make a significant difference.  This might be different sort of banding we are talking about here though.  But might be worth a try.

Carole 

48 minutes ago, carastro said:

I can't see any banding in the above images.

I haven't done much DSLR imaging for a few years now, but when I was, I recall being told to remove the SD card from the camera if you are downloading directly to the PC as something electronic happens in the download causing the bands to appear when stretched. 

I subsequently removed the card and seemed to make a significant difference.  This might be different sort of banding we are talking about here though.  But might be worth a try.

Carole 

Thanks! I'll try that too. Excellent 

I get the banding on both my 450d and 600d. It's much worse on the 600d and it shows when the sensor temperature it's quite high. It's ok in the winter months when the sensor is quite cold but now it's a nightmare. Noel Carboni's Astronomy tools don't always do the job. It's bad, very bad and hard to process. I didn't process this photo because of the banding. With my lack os processing experience I can't do anything about it. It's ashame, it would make a good photo.

2085770241_FinalStack(Drizzle)DBE.thumb.jpg.cc574ee981f541cba6c0eb65946960c6.jpg

Just this week I happen to have been in contact with one of the UK Canon camera modders concerning banding on my camera.

Among the suggestions for cause and cure were:

Earth the mount with a metal tent peg or copper pipe driven into the ground, connected to the mount with decent cable. The inference is that with metal connections the ota and camera will be earthed too.

Clip carbon beads around the power and data cables.

I've earthed my mount but haven't had a chance to buy the beads or try my 600D but I will report back.

Michael

10 hours ago, emyliano2000 said:

It's bad, very bad and hard to process.

I tried to sort your image, using a screen grab, your original would

probably perform better.

First with Noels banding removal, some noise reduction then layers for levels and curves with a 'flat' part at the left to even out the noise in the background, then lifted the colour a bit. Beats any picture I've done of M101:

image.png.1429a92b4acc7bd4df2399eb2afa66a7.png

Good job from Neil. When using Noel's banding tool be sure to use it as a layer so that any harm it does (often creating lines from bright stars) can be rescued by the unmodified layer.

The Photoshop curve below works like this: the middle point of the three in a line is the average background sky level. The points just above and below it have been brought level with it to flatten out any banding. Try this curve on a bottom layer. Go back to the top layer and use the colour select tool to pick out the background sky and erase it with the eraser. Use the lowest opacity eraser you can, just enough to kill the banding. The repaired sky will probably look unnaturally smooth so don't be afraid to use the Add Noise filter carefully to bring its noise back up to a reasonable level.

Like any cosmetic fix it's a last resort but throwing away data is rather sad!

145650251_flatteningcurve.JPG.5e0f86a68e3bf4908a63d8cadcec23d5.JPG

Olly

Wow, you guys know your photoshop. I don't know how to use the layers. Need to get a book or something to learn a bit more about it. 

2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

throwing away data is rather sad!

I never throw away my data. I keep them for whenever I have enough experience to go back to them and fix the problems.

2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Good job from Neil. When using Noel's banding tool be sure to use it as a layer so that any harm it does (often creating lines from bright stars) can be rescued by the unmodified layer.

The Photoshop curve below works like this: the middle point of the three in a line is the average background sky level. The points just above and below it have been brought level with it to flatten out any banding. Try this curve on a bottom layer. Go back to the top layer and use the colour select tool to pick out the background sky and erase it with the eraser. Use the lowest opacity eraser you can, just enough to kill the banding. The repaired sky will probably look unnaturally smooth so don't be afraid to use the Add Noise filter carefully to bring its noise back up to a reasonable level.

Like any cosmetic fix it's a last resort but throwing away data is rather sad!

145650251_flatteningcurve.JPG.5e0f86a68e3bf4908a63d8cadcec23d5.JPG

Olly

That's almost exactly the curve I did :) I found it by trial and error. 

Photoshop works well if you think in first principles about what you want to achieve. Then it's just a matter of knowing the tools in the PS toolbox and working out which ones to use. As in most things, think first, click later!

Olly

Archived