Sky Safari updates

Davey-T

Had a look for asteroid 2010 WC9 last night using 10" SCT and tried to use Sky Safari to identify the starfield but according to SF it was below the horizon.

Does it update ephemeris automatically or do I have to do it manually ?

Dave

If you go in to the solar system settings, scroll to the bottom and you should get the option to update the data. In the Pro and Plus version this data updates once per week, but you can force a manual update as above to force it to renew at any time. 

CAAD0711-0360-40D0-BC36-1CAC6BA38C83.thumb.jpeg.a51bcaed2862ed163537d84702dc436f.jpeg

1 hour ago, Knighty2112 said:

If you go in to the solar system settings, scroll to the bottom and you should get the option to update the data. In the Pro and Plus version this data updates once per week, but you can force a manual update as above to force it to renew at any time. 

CAAD0711-0360-40D0-BC36-1CAC6BA38C83.thumb.jpeg.a51bcaed2862ed163537d84702dc436f.jpeg

Thanks for that ?

47 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Probably Stellarium is incorrect now and needs updating too. 

Checked  Stellarium against JPL CNEOS data and it's pretty spot on, CDC can't find it and Sky Safari is miles out.

Dave

This is where my Skysafari 6 Pro puts the asteroid at closest approach on the 15th. Sadly this will be in the daytime, so I don’t think us northern observers will get a chance to view it. How accurate this path is I’m not sure.

F4DF44CE-B441-4416-BA0C-78AF195EA15B.thumb.png.3411d43e08c7e3ea07a408a0c41a8443.png

8 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

This is where my Skysafari 6 Pro puts the asteroid at closest approach on the 15th. Sadly this will be in the daytime, so I don’t think us northern observers will get a chance to view it. How accurate this path is I’m not sure.

F4DF44CE-B441-4416-BA0C-78AF195EA15B.thumb.png.3411d43e08c7e3ea07a408a0c41a8443.png

Yup, that's where my SkySafari 5 Pro has it too. No idea how far off it is. I've not been following this object.

In the run-up to  2012 DA14's flyby SkySafari's orbital engine was re-written to better account for 3 body solutions. It worked well for that body but there seems to a few occasions recently when it's been way off for minor bodies/satellites.. Not sure if it's an elements data issue or what.

8 minutes ago, Mackeyorama said:

Anyone know why my SkySafari pro would not have 2010 WC9? I have manually updated the data but searches still give nothing. 

It should be listed in Asteroids but mine shows it in completely the wrong place anyway.

Dave

3 minutes ago, Mackeyorama said:

Anyone know why my SkySafari pro would not have 2010 WC9? I have manually updated the data but searches still give nothing. 

Not sure, but make sure you put a space between the 0 and the W when typing in the search criterion. 

Archived