Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What spring?

blinky

Not being very mechanically minded I’m after some assistance from those that are.... I swapped out the cross head screws in my Skywatcher 300mm dob with little thumbscrews. I was out last night and had a heck of a time getting it to collimate and I’m thinking if I addd some springs to the screws it would provide a bit of force to make collimating the secondary a bit easier (so makrpe it th3 dame as the primary mirror, with a stew next to each adjuster). I’m just unsure what I need, anybody got a link to something suitable on fleabay?

I replaced the Secondary allen bolts on my 250pds with thumbscrews from 'Solarflare' on eBay in 2016, (just checked, can't find any on there now..).  Although you don't have to fiddle about with an allen key, i found the adjustment less 'controlled' than using the allen key - its too easy to turn more than necessary.  i persevered, and got better with them, but it wasn't an instant improvement like you (and I) may have been expecting..

Archived