SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Help Please? Guiding gets worse as night progresses

Thanks Ray, your instructions look fairly simple to follow on the adjustment, so may well do that this week.

I have been toying with a Hypertune to the mount as it is a much cheaper option than changing it for a better quality one and realistically a better mount probably means heavier and as I have to lift it onto the pier each time, it would make it impractical to go heavier as I have three slipped discs!

You know when you get those nagging feelings and until you commit to a fix it won't go away, well I'm getting them at the moment:happy7:.

If I do go for a hypertune, do I go ceramic bearings or not?

Thanks once again

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, spillage said:

I can only add the same as above. Run drift align both ways for at least 10 minutes to see how things are there and just tune out the backlash, take your time doing this and dont expect to remove it all with just a small fraction of a turn one you get close.

Mark.

Thanks Mark, so do you make the adjustment and then put it all together and retest?

12 hours ago, Jkulin said:

Thanks Ray, your instructions look fairly simple to follow on the adjustment, so may well do that this week.

I have been toying with a Hypertune to the mount as it is a much cheaper option than changing it for a better quality one and realistically a better mount probably means heavier and as I have to lift it onto the pier each time, it would make it impractical to go heavier as I have three slipped discs!

You know when you get those nagging feelings and until you commit to a fix it won't go away, well I'm getting them at the moment:happy7:.

If I do go for a hypertune, do I go ceramic bearings or not?

Thanks once again

Yes it can be so frustrating, John, but it is a good mount, and mine comfortably runs my Tak 106 with the EFW3, 16200 and PrimaLuceLab Eagle 2 on top, so it is more than capable.

I think it is only the Stallardrive that gives you the ceramic bearings which is why I went for that option.  If yours is in reasonably good condition then I wouldn't go for the hypertune until you've had a look at the backlash yourself.

As noted by @spillage it is just about taking your time, as frustrating as that can be, and just doing a little at a time.

21 hours ago, Jkulin said:

do you make the adjustment and then put it all together and retest

You do not need to take anything apart. Just undo the four allen key bolts a bit on the worm casing and then adjust the grub screws. Just remember that the grub screw near the worm (black caps) when undone puts the worm nearer the gear.

If you try to move the mount when the clutches are tight and it moves a bit or a lot this back lash. So loosen the grub screw about 1/8 or 1/4 at most, tighten up the opposite screw and then tighten up the four bolts manually check again for backlash and then move the mount using the handset or eqmod 360 to see if it binds at all. When you get closer then smaller adjustment of the grub screw will be needed.

Remember not to wind in the grub screw I have mention without loosening the opposite one first.

The three images near the bottom of this page might make it clearer.

Mark.

Archived