Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_planets.thumb.jpg.e76f0a73fd950ae15415beb032373794.jpg

Littleguy80

100 Degree Eyepieces - How many do you need?

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Is that basically a copy of the Docter 12.5mm?

IMG_85342.jpg

Docter-125-mm-Astro-Linse.jpg

It appears from Markus’ comments at the start of this thread, that it’s a new design

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/604783-apm-new-high-eyerelief-uwa-eyepieces-coming/

In the desktop view of the link that John added, it has a schematic diagram of the eyepiece design as follows

5E474E45-49F6-4387-9019-49C2C4670B58.png

Edited by GavStar
  • Thanks 1

On 14/05/2018 at 14:39, iPeace said:

As for me, it wasn't just balance issues, it was lugging the gear around. My observing was, and still mainly is, itinerant so I faced up to this and went more compact and it's been great.

I may yet re-acquire a few 100 deg eyepieces in the future (they are very nice), but for the moment I'm good.

Aren't the Panoptics great, though? :happy11:

Hi iPeace, I love the Panoptics, had them about year now and absolutely pleased with their performance and comparitive light weight.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, GavStar said:

It appears from Markus’ comments at the start of this thread, that it’s a new design

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/604783-apm-new-high-eyerelief-uwa-eyepieces-coming/

In the desktop view of the link that John added, it has a schematic diagram of the eyepiece design as follows

5E474E45-49F6-4387-9019-49C2C4670B58.png

Thank you. He does reference the Docter in there:

“In general its design leaning onto the Docter12.5  performance , but with even improved designed for even faster systems and more eyerelief”

• Like 1

Going back to the OP, i would say 3 eyepieces would cover most scopes, depends on F/L as to which you choose but I would say 21mm 13mm and 8mm, (which is why I have 8). For me they come into their own when used with a Dob.

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, GavStar said:

Perhaps copy was too strong of a word.  Perhaps "inspired by" the good Docter?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, alan potts said:

Going back to the OP, i would say 3 eyepieces would cover most scopes, depends on F/L as to which you choose but I would say 21mm 13mm and 8mm, (which is why I have 8). For me they come into their own when used with a Dob.

Alan

Much as I mostly use 40mm, 14mm, and 5mm in 70 degree eyepieces.  I find these 2.8x jumps to work pretty well for me.  They cover lowest power, mid-power, high power.  I have lots of other eyepieces, but they tend to clump around these focal lengths.

I just don't find much use for 20mm to 30mm eyepieces with my current scope lineup.  Maybe if I had faster scopes and a need to maintain a sub 6mm exit pupil I would.  I will admit that I did like this range in my 15" Dob because of its long focal length, but I don't get much use out of it since my back was injured years ago and light pollution shot up around me.  I keep thinking I'll find a good home for it at a house in the mountains of New Mexico when I retire and can wheel it out of a shed for use.

• Like 1

I only have one and that is the 20mm Lunt, a remarkably good eyepiece in my opinion. Weighting ~680g, it's the heaviest of my collection. It is often combined with the docter +/- VIP, obtaining the focal lengths of 20mm, 12.5mm, and 5.4mm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Piero said:

Weighting ~680g, it's the heaviest of my collection.

Avoid the ES-92 line if this is your weight limit.  The 12mm weighs 1011g while the 17mm weighs 1153g.  They are a challenge to balance in most scopes.

20 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Avoid the ES-92 line if this is your weight limit.  The 12mm weighs 1011g while the 17mm weighs 1153g.  They are a challenge to balance in most scopes.

:Envy: I will !! 

7 hours ago, Louis D said:

Is that basically a copy of the Docter 12.5mm?

IMG_85342.jpg

Docter-125-mm-Astro-Linse.jpg

The Docter still looks great though..! 

On 5/14/2018 at 15:47, Littleguy80 said:

I am a bit of an ortho fan.

Me too, that why I own the Docter.....its a widefield ortho IMHO.

I really dislike pincushion distortion when viewing planets and the moon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jetstream said:

Me too, that why I own the Docter.....its a widefield ortho IMHO.

I really dislike pincushion distortion when viewing planets and the moon.

The new 12.5mm APM has me excited. The Docter is out of my price range but I could probably stretch to one of the APM’s. I’m eagerly awaiting reviews to see how close in performance it is to the Docter! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 25585 said:

Nikon's NAV HW eps, 12.5 and 17mm are reckoned to be 2 of the best 100mm eps. And most expensive.

http://apm-telescopes-englisch.shopgate.com/item/32363335

Although with the included corrector you do get 2 focal lengths per eyepiece, ie: 17mm + 14mm and 12.5mm + 10mm :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

On 14/05/2018 at 10:00, 25585 said:

My first and only Nagler was a 13mm type 1 smoothie. It gave fantastic views for the time. Too short eye relief and exact eye positioning made it little used and I sold it last year.

Now I have 13mm Vixen LVWs. The new APM 13mm 100 deg http://apm-telescopes.shopgate.com/item/333632303932 with claimed 23mm eye relief is interesting. 

I am the 'new' owner of the Nagler type 1 that @25585 is referring to. Yes! eye positioning is important, (and so is balancing of your OTA), and it does give fantastic views. :thumbsup:

I also own the TeleVue 13mm Plossl smoothie @mikeDnight and it is interesting switching from a porthole to a straw... or vice versa. :evil62:

Now saving up for a TeleVue 13mm Nagler type 6... :D

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Philip R said:

I am the 'new' owner of the Nagler type 1 that @25585 is referring to. Yes! eye positioning is important, (and so is balancing of your OTA), and it does give fantastic views. :thumbsup:

I also own the TeleVue 13mm Plossl smoothie @mikeDnight and it is interesting switching from a porthole to a straw... or vice versa. :evil62:

Now saving up for a TeleVue 13mm Nagler type 6... :D

Sounds like you have caught the Green and Black fever                                          

Its going to be a slippery slope to empty pockets. But at least you have kept it to the Naglers(great eyepieces IMO). Good job you have not found the Ethos , Yet 😀

• Like 1

It is contagious 

IMG_20180222_120555.jpg

I don't have any 100 degree eyepieces.

I much prefer the 2 eyed view with my Panoptics / Naglers.

• Like 1