Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Suggestions for a first scope

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Very nice. Have a play with stellarium while you wait.

Have been doing, looks nice. Whilst I'm waiting (expected mid-June) I'll settle for 4 days in Langdale doing some astro with the camera if the skies are clear later this week.

The battery I ordered is the  Tracer 12v 7Ah LiFePO4 Battery Pack Hopefully that'll be good enough for the scope.

1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

Is the gti 12v and does the kit come with a cable that fits the battery. 

My 7ah gives loads of juice for my goto mount plenty of power capacity.

I'm really not sure, happy-kat. Martin from FLO suggested it, so I'm guessing it'll do the job, was curious how much real-time usage I'd get based on hands-on experience.

I've had 7 sessions out of one charge (wasn't fiat yet either) of my battery roughly 1.5 hours of use each time some slewing mainly tracking. Powering a camera and lens on my virtuoso mount.

You getting the wedge and counter weight later on? The video shows the star adbenturer wedge and I assume the counter weight bar too.

I certainly intend to. I'll get the hang of the standard setup first. I do have a tendency to try run before I can walk, so I'm reining myself in a bit.

On a different note, I'm in Langdale this weekend and hoping to catch some nice Milky Way core on my a6000. Other than locating Scorpio and following the tail is there an easier way of knowing which direction to point? I was thinking SE at about 1.30am?

10 hours ago, PaulConfused said:

On a different note, I'm in Langdale this weekend and hoping to catch some nice Milky Way core on my a6000. Other than locating Scorpio and following the tail is there an easier way of knowing which direction to point? I was thinking SE at about 1.30am?

9 hours ago, happy-kat said:

No idea on that one other then check stellarium and take a compass

Have fun trying and good luck.

I had a quick check, using Stellarium, and it looks as though the best pointers for Carlisle, at 01:30, looking SSE, would be an arc between Saturn and Altair, going up and eastwards towards the lower middle of Cygnus (just below Deneb), and flowing down and northwards to Cassiopeia.

• 4 weeks later...

So...the wait is over and my 127 AZ Gti was delivered today. I was wondering if there are any recommended resources on the setup and use of the scope? We do have the Todmorden Observatory nearby who have been very helpful by email, but, I don't just want to rock up one night and say "hey, show me how", haha.

On 18/05/2018 at 19:41, PaulConfused said:

The balcony is huge about 4.5 foot by 15 foot, but, I'd have to check on wobble.

Bear in mind that unlike the poor observers out in the cold, you can sit in the warm (and browse SGL) while the camera clicks away outside on its own (without you there to make the balcony tremble).

On 23/05/2018 at 20:28, PaulConfused said:

I certainly intend to. I'll get the hang of the standard setup first. I do have a tendency to try run before I can walk, so I'm reining myself in a bit.

In Langdale you should be able to see it!

glad to hear its all arrived, have fun with it, remember its not really getting proper dark at this time of year. You can knock up a dew shield from a bit of this and bit of that, i made one for my 127 from a cheap plastic mat sold for putting under a cats food bowls and some carbon fibre style sticky vinyl 

• 7 months later...

Remarkably late, but, finally got round to attaching my A7 to the Mak127. With one thing and another haven't been able to use the scope for most of last year, but tonight in about 15 minutes, managed to produce these. And it's all thanks to the help and advice from you guys and Peter at Tod Observatory. Not as amazing as some shots you guys do, but, for me a giant leap forward!

mak1.jpg

mak4.jpg

mak5.jpg

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Not bad considering the thin layer of cloud across the UK tonight!

Yes, I did find myself frustrated at the non-sharpness, but, when I checked clear outside it said 55% high cloud, so I was quite pleased in the end.

Archived