SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Newbie with EQ5 dec axis issue

Morddraig

I bought a used EQ5 before Xmas from a well known auction site.  IT came boxed, and seemed in good condition.  Due to the pitiful weather here in Caerphilly, South Wales, UK, and also to my old arthritic joints being what they are, I finally and for the first time got it all out this afternoon to look at the sun.  All was going well, I managed to find it (!) and got it tracking.  After about 40 mins or so, I noticed it seemed to have stopped tracking and decided to try to figure out what the issue might be (with my very limited knowledge, this means check the power)  The mount was still running, and allowed me to use the direction keys on the handset to move the mount in both RA and Dec axis...up to a point.  It seemed to have no problem moving the RA, but the Dec ( I think its that one) axis would move completely in one direction, but then stopped moving when it got to a particular point in the other direction.  No movement at all once it had stopped though the motors could be heard running.  There also seemed to be a few "clicks" heard.  Im completely stumped by this and not a little disappointed about it as it would seem I have bought a defective mount.  Being a total newbie doesnt help, but my guess is that the gears are stuffed.  Can anyone please suggest what to do next, though Im new to all this, I have no issue with trying to fix it if anyone can point me in the right direction please.

Are you using a battery pack, it may be that the batteries may need changing, or it

could be the cogs are not connecting, look at both motors, or the locking screw has worked

Loose, which is on the outside of the motor, where the flexi hand control fixes on.

/Having had a look at it this morning, It looks like I got things mixed up, its the RA that has the issue.  (still getting used to all this new terminology) I have checked the balance and it seems ok. I'm powering from mains with the adapter it came with.  This seems to be a generic variable voltage unit which delivers 12v at 1500ma. I have the same issue if I use the car adaptor cable via my 12v car jumpstart pack, even without the ota being mounted,  so not sure what to do next short of sending it to Telescope house to be fixed, a which I can't really afford to do at the moment since I am retired through ill health, but if needs must, then so be it.  I would like to explore the cheaper options first though and also maybe take the opportunity to learn a bit about how the mount works in the process.

Further to my post above, I have now had a look, and it seems that the gears are meshed and turning together, I noticed that if I put some gentle pressure on the saddle in the line of travel, then it does start to move again, but only briefly after the pressure is released,  so would this then just leave the worm gear to be the issue, or is there likely to be something else I dont yet know about?  Thanks to those that have answered so far, as I'm new to this, I'm not even sure if my descriptions are sufficient to understand what's going on, so apologies if this is the case. 

Hi. What scope are you using? I've had 12kg on an EQ5 mount and it had no problems slewing. The clicks you heard do make it sound like the sound an EQ5 and EQ6 make when there's a drop in voltage, or if the scope snags on something. Assuming the handset is a Synscan one, in the utilities function, there is the option to display voltage. I would set up inside or wherever convenient, get the voltage display on the handset and then slew the mount in all direction taking note of the voltage. If it drops below 12 to something like 9 then you will know you have an issue with your power supply.

Thanks for that info.  Will check it tomorrow. I only have a 150p OTA on it, but tried today without it on and am still finding the same issue.  I called Telescope house and they say they could likely fix it for around the 120 quid Mark, so seriously thinking of biting the bullet and getting it done, but money the wah it is, I would much prefer a diy solution if one exists.

• 4 weeks later...

So, got the issue figured out.  It seems that the previous owner had put in an "aftermarket" screw which was too long and was impinging on the mechanism.  Simple fix and didnt cost much to get sorted.  

Archived