sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

Greetings from an Italian in London

Hello everybody.
My name is Lorenzo and I am an amateur astronomer from Rome, Italy. I am writing since I moved in London one month ago where I will work for the next two years and I would like to introduce myself in UK astronomy world.
First  I am going to tell you something about me. I am 30 years old and I am a physicist. I got a PhD in material science, then I moved during postdoc to X-ray imaging field. After two years in Rome, more than half year in France, I moved to London for a postdoc position at the University College on a really amazing project.
I have also passion for astrophotography and photography. The first since I was 10. I tried several telescopes, mount and accessories. My current setup is a FSQ106Ed telescope or Epsilon180 on a paramount MYT mount and Moravian G3-16200 ccd. I have also a Coronado PST and a stellarvue 102 refractor. If you are interested you can find my shots in my astrobin profile https://www.astrobin.com/users/LorenzoM/.

Unfortunately, I gave up with astronomy for more than a year. First, the earthquake in center Italy destroyed the place where I was used to go. Then, I moved in France and finally in London.
I couldn't bring the heavy setup with me. Moreover, I sold the FSQ106 to help my relocation in France and UK and I was never able to get the epsilon 180 working properly. However, when I was in France I started to build a portable setup including a Ioptron SmartEQ mount and photograhpic 300mm f4 Canon lens coupled with Canon 6D that I use also for normal photography and thus it is not modified. 
This setup has not seen the first light yet and I would like to add guiding system. 

P_20180513_154836.thumb.jpg.3960bacd17b00abdd38c5db2a06e0c4f.jpg
Now, I am looking for a real telescope. I placed an add for an used epsilon 130, since I would like to continue to fight with these fast reflectors.

Like I said, I've never seen stars yet in UK. Main for two reasons. First because I don't know locations or anyone and I am still embarrassed to speak since I am not fluent in English . Second, because I am a little bit scared about taking a car and driving for miles in UK. 
I hope to overtake these problems soon since it is also the best way to improve my English!!!

As first thing I think I will join meeting of amateur astronomers in Regent's park in London. I know that I will see only planets from London's center but it is a way to meet somebody. And also to look at Jupiter with a real telescope. I will try to get some night landscapes with my canon. You can have fun with long exposures also on the ground :icon_biggrin:

• Like 5

Welcome to SGL! Just remember that we don't discriminate and we are happy to answer any questions you may have, we have a great community here!

Also, it's very cool that you are a physicist, astrophysics is my dream job!

Edited by Galen Gilmore

Welcome  Lorenzo,

Don't know if you used a translator for that post but if not I would say nothing wrong with your English.

Anyway I am fairly new to both Astronomy and this forum but enjoying both. I think you will find this forum very friendly and hope it helps uyou to get out and about and use your very nice equipment.

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang

Hi there Lorenzo,

Don't be scared about talking to people, it's the best way to learn. If you are in London there are some Astronomy groups in the city such as the Baker Street Irregulars (http://www.bakerstreetastro.org/), it may need best to contact and meet with them as I'm sure they do journeys out to somewhere darker.

Kick back and relax

Gingergeek

Ciao Lorenzo, e benvenuto nel posto migliore nel mondo per tutto ciò che ha da fare con l’astronomia e astro fotografia! Ho guardato le tue foto sul astrobin e sono spettacolare, complimenti. Buona fortuna con i cieli da Londra, ma sicuramente riuscirai a vedere qualche cosa anche da lì, ma se ti va di uscire dal ‘Big Smoke’, posso consigliare il starparty da SGL che si svolge ad ottobre. È un ottimo opportunità d’incontrare altri pazzi come te e da guardare le stelle con un cielo meno inquinato da Londra! Clear skies! Gav.

Buono fotografia.  Welcome to the UK and your continued Astro-imaging.

I understand your concerns about driving too far in a strange country on the other side of the road, but hopefully you will soon get used to that.  

There are a number of star parties in the UK every year, PhotoGav already mentioned the SGL star party to you, and there is also a big one in September in Norfolk.  Our local group from SE London/NW Kent go regularly to a campsite in East Sussex, but you would need a tent for most of these if you are interested, they are also a good way to meet like minded people.

Carole 

Edited by carastro

Thank you for the warm welcome. I will start to read the forum and try to give an help where I can.

7 hours ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Don't know if you used a translator for that post but if not I would say nothing wrong with your English.

No I didn't use any translator. Online translation from Italian to any language is quite bad. However, I was assisted by a vocabulary :icon_biggrin: . My situation is not a tragedy. I have the tendency to exaggerate. Due to my work I always read books and papers in English. I also write my papers in English. However, writing is much easier than speaking. I  know my concern about speaking are unjustified and I need to overcome it. I met always nice people since I am here and ready to help. Moreover, like has been said above speaking is the only way to improve my skills and there isn't a better topic than astronomy! I have many things to say about!

I know about Irregular astronomers. I will join their next meeting for sure. Unfortunately, I missed the previous one since I was moving in my new home.

2 hours ago, carastro said:

I understand your concerns about driving too far in a strange country on the other side of the road, but hopefully you will soon get used to that.  

There are a number of star parties in the UK every year, PhotoGav already mentioned the SGL star party to you, and there is also a big one in September in Norfolk.  Our local group from SE London?NW Kent go regularly to a campsite in East Sussex, but you would need a tent for most of these if you are interested, they are also a good way to meet like minded people.

I tried once in Ireland. During holiday we drove for more than 1000 km! And I never got used to it. I always put a wheel outside the road on the left side and it's better we don't talk about rearview mirrors entering in towns :grin:. I should try again! Is there a sign such as "please stay away from me: I am used to drive on the other side" I could use in the car? :grin::grin:
No problem for the tent. I like to sleep in a tent. I always used one when I went to see stars in Italy. If I need I can go to decathlon and buy a tent and a sleeping bag. My only concern is the electricity, in particular if I get real telescope. In Italy I always had electricity so I don't know what I need to run without.

What is the local group you are speaking about? 
Do you have a website? Where can I read about meetings? I would like to join. 

See you soon under the stars!
L.

• Like 1

My only concern is the electricity, in particular if I get real telescope. In Italy I always had electricity so I don't know what I need to run without.

What is the local group you are speaking about? 
Do you have a website? Where can I read about meetings? I would like to join. 

There is electrical hook up at the campsites we go to.  You would need to buy one of these (with the RCD safety cut out) to connect to power:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mobile-Mains-Hook-Up-3-Sockets-230v-RCD-Camping-Plug-Protected-Lead-Cable/121872762458?epid=5008812385&hash=item1c602ec65a:g:UMUAAOSwAO9ZOSED

My local group is the Orpington Astronomical Society, though lately the actual members seem to have dropped off and we seem to be more comprised of people like yourself who I have "collected" to make up the numbers, so if you private message me your Email address I will send you further details.  Four of the new people I have recruited are from this forum.

It will involve some driving though to get there as our regular site is in the country away from city lights (East Sussex).  It takes me about 1 hour to get there from SE London and we normally stop 2 - 4 nights depending on the weather.  We initially plan to do this at weekends so those who work can get there.  

Carole 

Edited by carastro

Hello Lorenzo, and welcome to SGL, hope you enjoy the community, and I am sure you will enjoy

your stay in the UK, see you around the forums.

Clear Sky's.

• 1 year later...

Hi Lorenzo, 

Welcome from a fellow Italian in the UK and a Physicist as well (condensed matter and solid state). I've been living in the south west (in Exeter precisely, HQ of FLO) for about 6 years now and the skies down here are really good for photography.

If you find yourself happy to drive 4 hrs down here you can enjoy the dark skies of Dartmoor National Park, a breathtaking landascape for skyscape photographs! 

Enjoy!