SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

IC 10 is coming

Ceph

I caught this one september 2017
The picture itself is not so special but I think the object is. IC 10 an irregular galaxy travelling towards Milky way with 350 km/s.
But it will "only" be here for around 1.9 billion years and even then the chance of us getting hit by any of its materia is very little.
As late as 1996 it was determined that the galaxy was a member of our own Local group.
This galaxy is surronded by a hydrogen gas cloud bigger then the galaxy itself.
One could wonder how even gases still follows the galaxy moving at that speed, hard to imagine no resistance at all, just plain nothing but gravity.

IC 10:
IC10.thumb.jpg.7592adc7a96886dd298ca5a4c3ef2ccd.jpg
Celestron-C9,25 CGE
Celestron reducer > FL=1480mm
Camera=Canon700D Baader mod
Exposures=36x360s
ISO 800

17 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

Thought provoking. I like it and i don't remember seeing this imaged before. Nice work Ceph?

Thanks.

Yes it is an interesting obejct this one, as many others of course. Another thing that surprised me was that it actually is an galaxy, it sure don't looks like one.

On 5/13/2018 at 18:27, Ceph said:

Thanks.

Yes it is an interesting obejct this one, as many others of course. Another thing that surprised me was that it actually is an galaxy, it sure don't looks like one.

Looks more like the LMC, which as we know is a galaxy that was torn apart. Maybe this one also was torn apart in the past?.

Could be mistaken for a Nebula also.

Cant explain or think of anything that would cause a Hydrogen cloud to be surrounding it and actually moving with it.

Must do some reading up on it. 

On 2018-05-14 at 22:18, LukeSkywatcher said:

Looks more like the LMC, which as we know is a galaxy that was torn apart. Maybe this one also was torn apart in the past?.

Could be mistaken for a Nebula also.

Cant explain or think of anything that would cause a Hydrogen cloud to be surrounding it and actually moving with it.

Must do some reading up on it. 

Let me know what you finds out,

Thanks

Archived