Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M-106 HaLRGB

Rodd

Well, sort of  a HaLRGB image. I used a synthetic luminance made from all the RGB subs.  A bit short on green subs, but apparently enough to get by.  I do want to round out the green subs to about a 100 and collect a proper luminance....but so many targets are calling! (and so few clear nights).

TOA 130, ASI 1600  with Astrodon series E RGB and 3um Ha filters

R: 101 2min

G: 56 2 min

B: 109 2 min

Ha: 48 5min

HaLRGB-2b.thumb.jpg.4f5f417f7e74500516324cdd768bb971.jpg

Lovely result Rodd.

I have only attempted this target once and found it extremely difficult both with getting core detail and the outer region.  I must visit it again.

Well done.

Carole 

2 hours ago, Barry-Wilson said:

Considering your data Rodd, this is a fair image.  Luminance and a blanaced set of RGB will help as you identify.  You have some very nice Ha detail of the jets in the core emerging - that is a great achievment.

Thanks Barry.  I hope to get more data soon.  

Rodd

2 hours ago, carastro said:

Lovely result Rodd.

I have only attempted this target once and found it extremely difficult both with getting core detail and the outer region.  I must visit it again.

Well done.

Carole 

Thanks Carole.  Yes, the outer reaches of M 106 are much fainter than the core.  There's a fair amount of detail out there though.  But as you say, it is hard to preserve them through processing. I found color a bit tricky as well.  Definitely a worthy target--especially with that Atik 460 of yours1

Rodd

A small histogram shift.  Black point dropped just a bit while signal nudged upward ever so slightly.  2 versions--the seccond has a bit of noise control in the outer regions of M106 to tame the pixilation caused by imbalanced RGB data (and my processing--I pushed pretty hard).  The difference can only reallay be seen in full resolution mode.

HaLRGB-2d.thumb.jpg.0f1c0eed05b25bb21737eac7aca4b0e9.jpg

HaLRGB-2d2.thumb.jpg.d3d39bae29c317c01ca101048228f6a0.jpg

This is the final stop with this data.  It is blue short, which is weird because I have a shortage of green stacks, not blue.  Maybe it works like that and when I collect the rest of the green, the blue will pop.  I don't think collecting more blue subs will increase the blue saturation.

Final-1c.thumb.jpg.06ac5ed07e7c2b423f2cd017c2f1e233.jpg

2 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

Nice work Rodd. Great detail in the Galaxies.

Thanks Richard.  The lenticular one near bottom right surprised me...its quite vivid.  I just saw a long focal length image of the smaller one near the upper right corner of M106--its an amazing galaxy with allot of blue stars.  Can't make it out too well at this focal length.

Rodd

2 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

The 1st thought that came into my head was "wow". It just got better with every version. The final one gives depth to 106. Its sharper.

Great work.

Thanks Paul.  I think I have just about gone as far as I can with the detail Maybe too far).  I think the addition of some good lum will clean things up a bit.  It still kind of noisy when enlarged.  I have been tinkering with the palette a bit--trying to find some subtle blue straggler stars in the disc.  The tiniest adjustment can be too much.  Here is a version with a teeny bit of blue added to the disc.  I don't want to go too far because I don't really know what is the reality.  I have seen some images that suggest that there is a little blue in the disc.  I know there should be more blue in the arms, but I need more data to mess with those areas.

Rodd

Final-1c-sharp-blue.thumb.jpg.7052832272f428f450a3d354c0d2c20f.jpg

28 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

The bit of blue stands out well. Now walk away before you overcook things. LOL.

Im not an imager. I just love looking at what you guys do.

Thanks--and you are right.  I am done until I get allot more data.

Rodd

Archived