SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Ireland over the summer.

There's only 2 Star parties that i know of: Skellig Star Party and Astronomy Ireland Star-B-Q.

The 1st one takes place in August, and the latter is in Sept. 

Skellig:

http://skelligstarparty.com/

Astronomy Ireland:

http://www.astronomy.ie/Events2018.php

On June 11th there is a public lecture in Trinity College Dublin about the effects of light on the night sky. Could be worth going to if your in Dublin on that date. Might need a ticket, or pay when you get there. Check website for details.

Or click this link:

http://www.astronomy.ie/lecture201806.php

P.S.- bring winter clothes and rain gear. Irish summers are very unpredictable.

1 hour ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

There's only 2 Star parties that i know of: Skellig Star Party and Astronomy Ireland Star-B-Q.

The 1st one takes place in August, and the latter is in Sept. 

Skellig:

http://skelligstarparty.com/

Astronomy Ireland:

http://www.astronomy.ie/Events2018.php

On June 11th there is a public lecture in Trinity College Dublin about the effects of light on the night sky. Could be worth going to if your in Dublin on that date. Might need a ticket, or pay when you get there. Check website for details.

Or click this link:

http://www.astronomy.ie/lecture201806.php

P.S.- bring winter clothes and rain gear. Irish summers are very unpredictable.

Thanks, will definitely check it out.

I'm taking WOW air which is the cheapest flight, but I can only take bags that can fit under the seat (without paying extra), so I don't have very many clothing options. I will have to figure something out there.

Also, is there any places in Ireland that you would recommend visiting? I'm trying to devise a "travel plan" and I have some ideas but not a solid list.

Definitely head west to Connemara. The Cliffs of Moher are pretty amazing and a big tourist attraction. If your heading to the south coast, Killarney National Park is stunning. The Rring of Kerry, also.

If you are planning to go north, then the Armagh Observatory would be a good place.

http://star.arm.ac.uk/

Couple of hrs outside of Dublin you have Birr Castle.

http://birrcastle.com/

Home of what used to be the largest telescope in the world:

All this should keep you busy for a few days. Also if up north, a visit to The Giants Causeway is recommended.

Birr-Castle-Telescope.jpg

Pauls the expert, but I second the Cliffs of Moher, also Brandon Mountain, the Burren and the John F. Kennedy Arboretum. The whole area around Cork is wonderful but I'm biased because 1/4 of me is from there :happy8:

Don't worry about clothes - Primark was founded in Ireland look for a 'Penneys' and you'll be able to clothe yourself for 2/6 :evil4:

The Burren and the John F. Kennedy Arboretum. 

Forgot about those. I visited wexford a few yrs back (as you do). Drove for quite a distance in the rain to get to the JFK aboretum.

It was closed. Trust me to go on a staycation during off season.

Im no expert, just well travelled.

You could also go kiss the Blarney Stone. Its said to give you "the gift of the gab". Personally, id never do it. Too many people have done it and id be afraid of catching something. Im Irish anyway...........i was born with the gift of the gab.

LOL.

Just a thought to throw in here. Lots of things to do and see bit Ireland hasn't got an extensive motorway system so allow lots of time for driving if your planning to visit all over! I'm Irish but moved to the UK over 15 years ago. The road network is improving though.

Haha it's not too bad. N5 bypass is almost complete through. I miss the roads over there. No traffic. Just get in the car and go. 60mph start to finish. One of the great advantages of Irish roads. Even Dublin doesn't seem as bad as it is over here.

A couple of yrs ago i was over there and we drove from Surrey to Southampton to catch a ship. It was a lovely Sunday afternoon. It took us 5hrs to get there. Not sure of the road we were on, but it was one road all the way. Traffic was bumper to bumper and what is with those speed limit displays. theres one every 50ft (or so it feels) and they all have different speeds depending on the flow of traffic. Most of our journey was done at a crawl. I couldnt believe it.

Thanks all,

Paul is right I will be all over the place, plus a day in Iceland. But I honestly don't know if my energy will be there during that day, jet lag and all that. I'm definitely  going to have to check out all of Pauls suggestions, and I already had Newgrange in mind. I was also planning on going to Skelleig Micheal, do any of you know about how crowded it might be? I would expect it to be pretty crowded considering it was one of the settings in the new Star Wars movie.

4 hours ago, Galen Gilmore said:

Thanks all,

Paul is right I will be all over the place, plus a day in Iceland. But I honestly don't know if my energy will be there during that day, jet lag and all that. I'm definitely  going to have to check out all of Pauls suggestions, and I already had Newgrange in mind. I was also planning on going to Skelleig Micheal, do any of you know about how crowded it might be? I would expect it to be pretty crowded considering it was one of the settings in the new Star Wars movie.

Skellig Michael will be CROWDED. Its already a world heritage site because of the monastery there. There's talk of closing it off as a tourist attraction. Not sure when that might happen.

p.s.-i didnt know you would be all over the place. I was sending you all over the place. Theres a difference.

LOL.

I'll give a +1 for Brú na Bóinne complex. I've only been to Newgrange itself, but there are a couple of other barrows that you can get to from the visitor centre. Access to them is via a short bus ride from the visitor centre, which unreliable memory says is about an hours drive from Dublin

The Irish Astronomical Society host star parties and sidewalk astronomy events around Dublin. Nothing currently listed beyond the end of May, so check nearer the time

There are plenty of other things to do too. The Book of Kells, an early illuminated manuscript kept at Trinity College may be worth a visit; there are tours of the Jameson Whiskey Distillery and the Guiness Brewery if you are old enough to drink (minimum age there is 18); plenty of museums; and there is a thriving night life and live music scene.

Driving is easy. The Irish are not aggressive drivers, and the roads are not hugely busy. Just remember that they drive on the left, and as they use metric measurements, so all distances and speeds are in kilometres. The main road system is quite good too. Some of the back roads out in the countryside get 'interesting' though!

Paul's comment about the weather is accurate and you will find that you'll probably need a lightweight waterproof coat. My half Irish girlfriend had warned me before our first visit that Ireland really only has too seasons; the wet season, when it rains all the time, and the dry season, when it doesn't rain all the time!

Good suggestions there for Dublin. Also worth a visit...............Dublin Castle, Christ Church Cathedral and Dublinia (all about the Vikings who founded many cities around Ireland (including Dublin in 988AD).

Sorry for the history lesson.

Wexford Heritage Park is cool. Its a lovely walk and has full size replica houses that were common in Ireland down through history. Everything from huts made of tree branches covered in animal furs up to a Viking Long house.

Archived