Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The aid of an engineering brain required please

Horwig

On 24/05/2018 at 14:10, Rusted said:

Peter,

You've made hundreds? Why have I never seen them advertised? Have you stopped now?

I was told by BH, amongst many other lame excuses, that his wormwheel maker was in his 90s and didn't want to do it any more.

I know how they're supposed to be made. I thought I'd paid to have it done properly to the highest standard.

Had I known what would eventually turn up I would have made my own the correct way.

I think the 11" I had from BH was lying on a shelf as a reject for half a century.

Perhaps I was seen as an easy touch being on the Continent and impatient to progress on my big GEM?

I "retired" 12 years ago. The gears were mostly for complete telescope orders although I made some specials for MOD and aerospace projects. I hardly ever advertised anything, reputation brought in as much work as I could manage.   ?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just an observation, but my dentist has a rotating slideshow in the waiting room. As well as wildlife pics, expensive holiday shots and adverts for tooth whitening one of them is a chart of how abrasive different toothpastes are. Some are rated as so abrasive they are bad for your teeth. Arm and Hammer which is mostly bicarb or soda is rated as the least abrasive and may be too gentle to do anything significant to aluminium. I found a copy of the chart:

image.thumb.png.ddf772056d4a1cc1b1fd5eb89c1e624e.png

It seems A & H is only twice as abrasive as brushing with water. You want Colgate 2 in 1 Tartar Control/Whitening!

It seems different toothpastes really are different.

Now that is interesting, I used Arm and Hammer Advanced White, bit it sure was not after three hours on the gear set, mucky grey would have been a better name for it.

36 minutes ago, Horwig said:

Now that is interesting, I used Arm and Hammer Advanced White, bit it sure was not after three hours on the gear set, mucky grey would have been a better name for it.

You'll have to swop to A&H Fresh Mint it will smell nice as well. lol

Dave

Interesting (sort of)...  Coincidence...

Arm & Hammer

In the 1980s Hammer owned a considerable amount of stock in Church & Dwight, the company that manufactures Arm & Hammer products; he also served on its board of directors. However, the Arm & Hammer company's brand name did not originate with Armand Hammer. It was in use some 31 years before Hammer was born.[47] He was spurred to buy shares in the company as a result of often being asked about the brand being so close to his name.

At least when you finish with all this toothpaste you can be sure that your gears will have lovely clean teeth :D

I have always been a little wary of the abrasive effects of toothpaste since I heard it recommended for polishing clear plastic parts used in plastic model kits.  My dentist claims that some of my teeth show signs of heavy wear.  Aside from making me feel like a horse, perhaps I shall give consideration to Neil's chart when I next buy toothpaste.

But to return to the actual topic, I just wanted to say that the worms in the photos posted by Huw in the early hours of yesterday morning look like things of beauty.  Good engineering is often as much art as science.

James

On 14/05/2018 at 14:00, Davey-T said:

I discovered that the worm tensioning spring can be too strong and counter intuitively it worked better with a "weaker" spring but the number of turns and strength made a lot of difference so a weaker spring with more coils worked better.

Dave

Thanks for that comment Dave, as you say counter intuitive, but very true.

Spent yesterday fettling and playing, and yes, reduced spring force made a great difference.

Previously I'd let Sitech handle the backlash, but I've now let PHD handle it, here's last night's first run (edit, actually it's from the previous night):

phd1.thumb.JPG.01e2fbfedfb0bbb0c21a71180c0e471f.JPG

As you can see horrible periodoc error, so ran Sitech's Auto PEC routine for 9 worm revolutions:

phd2.thumb.JPG.49c9919b145b759fec564ec773d5cca9.JPG

I was amazed at how the RA error just kept getting smaller on every revolution, really easy to apply.

Let's hope that everything is now stable and repeatable.

Huw

Archived