Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Potentially Good Seeing Tonight

Just a quick heads up that the jetstream forecast for tonight is showing it moving to the northwest.  Those in the East/south of the UK should have some good seeing tonight if you've got clear skies.

image.png.d359ce47e92fc5816615f70c089c0746.png

Shall I finish repointing the patio or shall I set the scope up instead... Hhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm Decisions decisions..

Thanks for the heads up, shame theres not GRS, transit or shadows on view.. but hey ho!

2 hours ago, Fozzie said:

Shall I finish repointing the patio or shall I set the scope up instead... Hhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm Decisions decisions..

Thanks for the heads up, shame theres not GRS, transit or shadows on view.. but hey ho!

The GRS does actually transit tomorrow morning, May 11th, at 04.06 BST, but will only be about 9 degrees altitude.  Of course it will be well on the disk an hour before then.  Though it is only about 14 degrees at this time, you may get a reasonable view if the seeing is indeed good.

Not bad in the South West tonight. 300x on Porrima with the TMB/LZOS 130 triplet is a piece of cake. Even 600x is showing pretty well defined stellar disks !

11 minutes ago, John said:

Not bad in the South West tonight. 300x on Porrima with the TMB/LZOS 130 triplet is a piece of cake. Even 600x is showing pretty well defined stellar disks !

That was tempting fate wasn't it ?

Suddenly lots of clouds about :clouds1:

Bouncing around here with the 102, though to be fair its got to move round a bit to get the better local air.

No jupiter imaging tonight as the shoulder is not up to getting the C11 on the mount.

The clouds cleared earlier so I got a reasonable session in with the 5.1 refractor after all. Jupiter was nice but having been spoiled in past years when it was much higher in the sky, I felt that I was making the best of it rather than seeing the full glory.

Best views tonight were of M57 and M13 as they rose higher into the sky. I could see the mag 13 star just off to the side of M57 with direct vision which is not so bad for a 5.1 inch aperture. M13 was really well resolved - the sort of view I've had to use 6-8 inch apertures for in the past.

Not a "vintage" session but nice all the same.

4 hours ago, John said:

I felt that I was making the best of it rather than seeing the full glory.

I agree John. It was more a case of chase detail and remembering what it should look like, rather then it being there, easy to see. Easy to blame your scope at times like this, must remember not to!

Archived