Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IC5070 Narrowband Ha Oiii with 40d DSLR (Pelican Neb)

tooth_dr

Hi All

Data collected last Saturday night with my EDs and 40ds. 

Ha = 14x900s

Oiii = 14x900s

Massive thanks to @Xiga for his guide to processing narrowband with a DSLR. I know I can do better but I’m posting this as it took me about 4 hours to get it this far!

Nice to get both Ha and Oiii at the same time!

1053FC4A-DC02-4C08-8D27-74E60A44C6A5.jpeg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

That is AWESOME.... I love seeing such awesome results created by a fellow imager with a 40D.

Thanks! I really like this camera, old or not, it just seems to work! You are getting fantastic results, after seeing yours I knew what could be achieved!

And not bad for a camera that cost me £37. 

1 hour ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

Wow, that is one amazing image!

Now, if I got 5 1000ds with 5 130pds's and 5 eq5s, I could get 5 hours data every hour! (And I'm sure it wouldn't cost all that much more........ :D

John

I’m did consider if it’s feasible to attach my other DSLRs lol

I've always wondered if its possible to get 2 actual imaging cameras at the same time on the same scope, with a glorified OAG for the 2 cameras, and then a guidescope for the guiding stuff.

It would probably put rather a lot of strain on the focuser though. The "ideal" way would be to get CCD cameras with smaller chips; 2 DSLRS would never be able to work together. I don't know if its possible to get both cameras in the OAG to point at the same galaxy, or if they would have to point at different areas of the frame. If it is possible, one camera could record one wavelength, and the other another wavelength. All that would be needed then is a rat to nest in the wires! :D

John

3 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Thanks! I really like this camera, old or not, it just seems to work! You are getting fantastic results, after seeing yours I knew what could be achieved!

And not bad for a camera that cost me £37. 

Old or not, the 40D has a awesome sensor for astrophotography... big pixels, good QE and quite low noise at ISO800.

If my 40D were to fail, I'd replace it with another 40D.

2 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

What filter do you use to let in Ha and OIII simultaneously?

‘Wall-E’ is used (that’s what my kids call the two scopes as it looks like the Disney character).

In the last photo you can (possibly) see the different colours, I was using Bahtinov masks to focus.

Atronomik 12nm Ha clip in one 40d, and 12nm Oiii clip in the other 40d.

64887E0A-E943-47E6-A33E-766E6078DE44.jpeg

8E186222-F4B0-4B58-B4CA-F57E7C267F86.jpeg

EAD73C0B-286A-4FD1-9414-E969034BAF07.jpeg

14 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Hi All

Data collected last Saturday night with my EDs and 40ds. 

Ha = 14x900s

Oiii = 14x900s

Massive thanks to @Xiga for his guide to processing narrowband with a DSLR. I know I can do better but I’m posting this as it took me about 4 hours to get it this far!

Nice to get both Ha and Oiii at the same time!

1053FC4A-DC02-4C08-8D27-74E60A44C6A5.jpeg

Very very good Adam, especially considering this is your first go at doing a Bi-Colour image in NB! It certainly is a very different way of processing, but once you get the hang of it i think you'll like it. Personally, i much prefer it to doing RGB (OSC), as unless you have the luxury of nice dark skies then it can be quite the job getting the colours right (whereas with False Colour imaging you're free to do as you like). 

When you do the (inevitable) re-process ;-)  i would recommend doing the stacking in APP instead of DSS. Nothing beats APP when it comes to stacking DSLR NB data, so once you get comfortable with it you won't look back. I would also try running the 'Remove Light Pollution' tool on the OIII in APP too. I often find my Ha doesn't need much (if any) in the way of gradient reduction, but OIII is a different matter. It usually does benefit from it, so i would give that a go too. 

5 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

‘Wall-E’ is used (that’s what my kids call the two scopes as it looks like the Disney character).

In the last photo you can (possibly) see the different colours, I was using Bahtinov masks to focus.

Atronomik 12nm Ha clip in one 40d, and 12nm Oiii clip in the other 40d.

64887E0A-E943-47E6-A33E-766E6078DE44.jpeg

8E186222-F4B0-4B58-B4CA-F57E7C267F86.jpeg

EAD73C0B-286A-4FD1-9414-E969034BAF07.jpeg

Awesome.... I though you got one of those Ha & OIII dual band filters.... I looked into them, but I thought that around $500 its a bit of a stretch.

2 cameras.. great idea.

For OIII data, even a unmodded stock camera would be just as sensitive.

4 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

Awesome.... I though you got one of those Ha & OIII dual band filters.... I looked into them, but I thought that around $500 its a bit of a stretch.

2 cameras.. great idea.

For OIII data, even a unmodded stock camera would be just as sensitive.

That’s it! One 40d is unmodded and I used it for Oiii as I thought it shouldn’t matter!

17 minutes ago, Barry-Wilson said:

Good work Adam and a very nice image for your first NB attempt - you should be delighted.

It's exciting to read that you are seeing how to improve and your techniques are developing :happy7:.

Thanks Barry.  I am indebted to Xiga for these processing tips in this example. 

Archived