Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

G'day from down under!

Ian Taylor

G'day all, I'm located in a small town in South Australia. After a break from scopes for more years than I care to admit to I've just purchased an 8" newtonian so that I can resume my exploration of the skies. Looking forward to being a part of the community here :) 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the SGL Forums Ian, we have two or three of fellow Aussies on SGL, I'm sure they'll get around
to introducing themselves as soon as. 
Enjoy the 8" Newt, a bit of a workhorse for many Amateurs, and those Southern Hemisphere skies have Plenty
of great targets for it to pleasure the eye.
Best Wishes mate.

Ian

Welcome from another down under

Where in South Oz are you

I am originally from Nyah, Mildura side of Swan Hill

Saac, the views are fantastic.

Where I am, have minimal light pollution, and Ian even less

Google Astronomy Goldcoast, and SAS link will come up

Event Horizon is our monthly magazine and can be view from club link, and see imaging member have been taking

Weekend 7-8 July, SAS is also co-hosting Star Stuff

Been in the Southern Hemisphere, have lot of deep sky object to observe, which not available Northern Hemisphere

The CRUX is an amazing place to explore, with Jewel Box and other objects

Partner and I escaped to India during Comm Games, as had road closures, unable to park rail station to commute to work

Visited a place called Jantra Mantra, located in Jaipur

What an amazing astrological place dating back almost 400 years

Pollution was huge issue over there, and was even hazy looking towards the sun, let alone star and planets

Have attached pic of the Taj Mahal, taken early morning from Agra Fort showing the pollution

Happy viewing everyone 

Taj Mahal from Agra Fort.jpg

13 hours ago, cletrac1922 said:

Ian

Welcome from another down underimageproxy.php?img=&key=bdf8b2134cef9d8bimageproxy.php?img=&key=bdf8b2134cef9d8b

Where in South Oz are you

I am originally from Nyah, Mildura side of Swan Hill

Saac, the views are fantastic.

Where I am, have minimal light pollution, and Ian even less

Google Astronomy Goldcoast, and SAS link will come up

Event Horizon is our monthly magazine and can be view from club link, and see imaging member have been taking

Weekend 7-8 July, SAS is also co-hosting Star Stuff

Been in the Southern Hemisphere, have lot of deep sky object to observe, which not available Northern Hemisphere

The CRUX is an amazing place to explore, with Jewel Box and other objects

Partner and I escaped to India during Comm Games, as had road closures, unable to park rail station to commute to work

Visited a place called Jantra Mantra, located in Jaipur

What an amazing astrological place dating back almost 400 years

Pollution was huge issue over there, and was even hazy looking towards the sun, let alone star and planets

Have attached pic of the Taj Mahal, taken early morning from Agra Fort showing the pollution

Happy viewing everyone 

Sounds like an amazing place cletrac.  I think what I envy most about your location is the prospect of a night's observing/imaging in a reasonable temperature rather than our cold damp freezing conditions in winter; it really does test your dedication.

An episode of a popular science programme here in the UK on the BBC "Wonders of the Universe"  with professor Brian Cox did an on location feature about the astronomical calendars in Jantra Mantra. Your right, it looks an absolutely fascinating place to visit - again envious in a good way :) 

Jim 

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

saac, the views here are pretty good, I only have to travel 5 minutes from my house and I'm in an almost light free area.

To show how little light pollution there is here, I've attached an image of the Milky Way taken in my driveway during a third quarter moon at 0545ACDT (45 minutes before sunrise). I was using my Canon EOS 1300D on a tripod, 45 images at 15 secs each, stacked. Not the best shot but I was seeing how it would turn out just for a laugh :)

G'day cletrac1922, I'm in Port Pirie, a tiny place of around 16,000 people so pretty decent for viewing once you head out a few k's :)

Stacked pre-editing-1.jpg

1 hour ago, Ian Taylor said:

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

saac, the views here are pretty good, I only have to travel 5 minutes from my house and I'm in an almost light free area.

To show how little light pollution there is here, I've attached an image of the Milky Way taken in my driveway during a third quarter moon at 0545ACDT (45 minutes before sunrise). I was using my Canon EOS 1300D on a tripod, 45 images at 15 secs each, stacked. Not the best shot but I was seeing how it would turn out just for a laugh :)

G'day cletrac1922, I'm in Port Pirie, a tiny place of around 16,000 people so pretty decent for viewing once you head out a few k's :)

Cracking shot Ian; you have a great location there. :) 

Jim

Hi Guys

Look at the dark, and not the light, and you will see the Emu in the Milky Way

Australian indigenous astronomy dating back 40,000 years

In indigenous astronomy in women's business, Orion is chasing Pleiades to marry one of the seven sisters, and not able to as Orion belongs to the wrong mob

Men's business,  Orion is a pack of dingo's chasing Pleiades, which is a mob of kangaroos

Aldebaran is interesting as well indigenous astronomy

Dreamtime story is a man stole another man's wife. The man and the women hid in a tree

The man who was betrayed,  found them hiding in the tree, and set fire to the tree

Rainbow serpent picked them up, and they became Aldebaran

Every time an aboriginal man looks up and sees Aldebaran, he knows he is not allowed to steal another man's wife

Talk on indigenous astronomy when doing presentations to school, scout/guide groups Space Badge

On 5/11/2018 at 05:07, cletrac1922 said:

Hi Guys

Look at the dark, and not the light, and you will see the Emu in the Milky Way

Australian indigenous astronomy dating back 40,000 years

In indigenous astronomy in women's business, Orion is chasing Pleiades to marry one of the seven sisters, and not able to as Orion belongs to the wrong mob

Men's business,  Orion is a pack of dingo's chasing Pleiades, which is a mob of kangaroos

Aldebaran is interesting as well indigenous astronomy

Dreamtime story is a man stole another man's wife. The man and the women hid in a tree

The man who was betrayed,  found them hiding in the tree, and set fire to the tree

Rainbow serpent picked them up, and they became Aldebaran

Every time an aboriginal man looks up and sees Aldebaran, he knows he is not allowed to steal another man's wife

Talk on indigenous astronomy when doing presentations to school, scout/guide groups Space Badge

I'm aware of the dreamtime mythology around the MW but whenever I see the southern milkyway, all I can see is an echidna mooning me :D

Welcome to SGL @Ian Taylor

I'm also an Aussie although been living in the UK for the last 16 yrs

Scott

Our current club president, she escapes winter down under, and escapes to her river barge over there

Which part of Oz were u from

These days living Goldcoast Hinterland, and have fairly dark skies where I am

Cheers

John

Archived