Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

Barry-Wilson

Whale & Hockey Stick Galaxies

Recommended Posts

A delightful spring-time galactic pair and the first time I've imaged these galaxies.  The recent clear and sunny weather has brought some good evenings for imaging and I can see that this target has attracted many others with its beautiful colouring and active central core regions which show characteristic red supernovae remnants.

The image is rotated 90 degrees so the whale can swim serenly by :happy7:.

Details:

  • WO 132FLT at F7
  • 10 Micron GM1000HPS
  • QSI683 with Astrodon filters
  • Lum 18 x 600s; 15 x 600s RGB each; 12 x 600s Ha; total integration 12.5hrs
  • SGP for capture & PI for processing
  • Home Obs, Totnes

LHaRGB_EnhBlend_rotate.thumb.jpg.89d9d0239c4e3dfad2ff5ca5e9868a94.jpg

Thanks for looking!

  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cracking image Barry. Superb! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Cracking image Barry. Superb! :) 

Thanks Gus.

Just tweaked with a touch more contrast:

LHaRGB_EnhBlend_rotate.thumb.jpg.5f0a43697d59b48b26fe898c8a071d98.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Barry-Wilson said:

Thanks Gus.

Just tweaked with a touch more contrast:

LHaRGB_EnhBlend_rotate.thumb.jpg.5f0a43697d59b48b26fe898c8a071d98.jpg

Yes, I’m just tweaking an image I took of Jupiter on the 7th May. Hehe! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lovely pairing Barry, the last time I imaged the Whale must be at least 10 years ago with the SCT, guess I should give it another go with shorter focal length.

I have now managed two hassle free nights with the 10Micron :thumbsup:

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice one Barry.... a great pair to see. I bet you've had better imaging weather in Devon than Spain at the moment? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, swag72 said:

Nice one Barry.... a great pair to see. I bet you've had better imaging weather in Devon than Spain at the moment? 

Thanks Sara.

You’re absolutely right about the weather in Spain, fingers crossed for a productive Spring & Summer :happy10:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is beautiful. It's another one of those images that I love to zoom in and try and count the small fuzzies in there. Love it. 

Got about 30 I think. 

Edited by Peco4321

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful Barry!
I am amazed that you can get 12.5 hours of darkness at 50.4 °N now. I cannot get one minute here at 59.8°N. What a difference 1000 km do! Could it have to do with the curvature of the earth and is it the final nail in the coffin for the flat earth proponents?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/05/2018 at 21:28, Davey-T said:

Lovely pairing Barry, the last time I imaged the Whale must be at least 10 years ago with the SCT, guess I should give it another go with shorter focal length.

I have now managed two hassle free nights with the 10Micron :thumbsup:

Dave

Thanks Dave & pleased to hear progress . . .

On 09/05/2018 at 22:42, Peco4321 said:

This is beautiful. It's another one of those images that I love to zoom in and try and count the small fuzzies in there. Love it. 

Got about 30 I think. 

Much appreciated Peter.

On 10/05/2018 at 10:10, gorann said:

Beautiful Barry!
I am amazed that you can get 12.5 hours of darkness at 50.4 °N now. I cannot get one minute here at 59.8°N. What a difference 1000 km do! Could it have to do with the curvature of the earth and is it the final nail in the coffin for the flat earth proponents?

Cheers Gorann.  I still have about 3 hours of astro dark but it will rapidly disappear and then it will be NB only :happy11:.

Edited by Barry-Wilson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Splendid detail...and that background!

Rodd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lovely pair Barry  :thumbright: top notch from totnes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good work Barry, and from the Totnes observatory - good to see that is being productive and it’s not just Spain for you these days! The Hockey Stick is an odd sort of galaxy, isn’t it?! More of a smudge than anything else. As ever, you have a lovely star field to support the main elements. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a fantastic shot of these two Barry

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/05/2018 at 18:11, Rodd said:

Splendid detail...and that background!

Rodd

Thanks Rodd.

On 10/05/2018 at 20:41, toxic said:

lovely pair Barry  :thumbright: top notch from totnes

I'm lucky to be in a semi-rural part of the world for darker skies . . . and the delights of Totnes (if only the town were not so busy on Bank Holiday weekends!).  Cheers Chris.

23 hours ago, PhotoGav said:

Good work Barry, and from the Totnes observatory - good to see that is being productive and it’s not just Spain for you these days! The Hockey Stick is an odd sort of galaxy, isn’t it?! More of a smudge than anything else. As ever, you have a lovely star field to support the main elements. 

Yea, the Hockey Stick is a smudge of sorts distorted by its interactions.  It would be great to have steady weather across the UK as we astronomers have not fared too well the last couple of summers.  Spain's weather is improving too and Cepheus is rising higher every day . . .

10 hours ago, andyo said:

That's a fantastic shot of these two Barry

 

Thanks Andy.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.