SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mount for solar observation

Hi

I am new to the forum and need some advice on solar observation. I have a Lunt LS50THa scope and i am struggling when tuning and focusing, it is difficult enough to locate the sun but when I try tune and focus the scope/mount moves. I have used a photographic tripod and a goto mount, could someone recommend a mount that is sturdy enough to allow tuning without movement.

I used an AZ3 alt-azimuth mount for 40mm and 70mm Coronado solar telescopes with complete satisfaction. You may need to do a little adaption to interface the Lunt but the end result is worth it, the slow motions are a bonus.

I have mine on a EQ5, which is a bit overkill to be honest, although when double stacked there is a bit more weight. Ideally I would use a EQ3-2, which is easier to transport and would handle the weight no problem.

As you have not mentioned imaging, I am assuming you are visual only, so alt-azimuth mount would also be fine. I also had to get a dovetail to fix to the tube ring, in my case I made one out of a piece of alloy.

I also have a Porta II, it is heavier than the AZ3 but it also has slow motions and could carry a larger instrument. An advantage is that you can balance the telescope easier. The AZ3 is of course cheaper.   :icon_biggrin:

I've just come in from viewing the Sun through my 70mm dia / 400mm FL Travel Scope (with filter film over objective cap) OTA, mounted on my Virtuoso 90's mount, with tracking enabled. Held Sun nicely in FOV. I also use the AZ3 mount for finer adjustments if I want to go unpowered.

Now called to lunch.

Geoff

Hi Stephen,

I don't yet have a Ha scope, but do a lot of White Light observing with a Skywatcher ST102 and Lunt Herschel wedge and I find that an Astrotech Voyager Alt-Az, which is similar to a Porta II but larger, works very well.  

When I need a more compact and travel friendly setup I also use a Manfrotto 055 photographic tripod with a Manfrotto 410 junior geared head (converted to a two-way head) (https://www.wexphotovideo.com/manfrotto-410-junior-geared-head-10890/) for a .

The 410 geared head works well, and with a Baader Vixen Clamp attached to the quick release plate its nice and easy to attach a small astro scope.

Cost wise, not too much difference between the two if new, but the Porta II is likely to be the more stable option.

I have a Lunt 60 and have mounted it on an old Vixen GP Eq mount which is rock solid, if you can get one used I would recommend it certainly, the single axis motor I purchased from skywatcher keeps it on target nicely too.

I have my Solar Max 11 on an EQ5

Use same mount for my ED80

Last week purchased the Wi-Fi adaptor for my EQ5, and downloaded the SynScan APP

The APP also has solar mode, bit hard to find, click Advance, then Advance Settings

Ensure your SynScan controller also has latest version firmware, as also has solar tracking

When using for solar viewing, use Heavens Above APP, to locate a star near the sun, then do a single star alignment

In Solar Mode, bring mount back onto the sun, and will track all day

My club also has a LUNT pressurised solar scope, and due to heat and humidity down under, have a problem with the lubricant drying out  for the "O" rings, causing the scope to de-pressurise

John

Archived